Roasted Cauliflower Steaks (Low Carb)
Yes, we know these aren’t “steaks”. But roasted cauliflower steaks are darn delicious and a great way to eat more vegetables. Each bite into a thick baked cauliflower steak is so satisfying and filling. The flavors really make this a great side dish or even a full meal.
Grilled Cauliflower Steak Recipe Feedback
A few years ago we shared this grilled cauliflower steak recipe and it was a hit with readers. But so many of you asked about roasting these. So we did several tests again and have this oven roasted version for you to enjoy! The grilled version is great for Summer and outdoor gatherings. But if you don’t have a grill or when the weather is cooler, roasting cauliflower is better.
Video: Roasted Cauliflower Steaks Recipe in the Oven
How to Slice Cauliflower into Steaks or Thick Slices
It can get tricky to get more than 2 “steaks” from a head of cauliflower. When slicing the head of cauliflower, try to have as much stem included as possible. The stem is what holds the cauliflower into “steaks” or one large slice. You’ll definitely have some random small broken pieces, but hopefully you’ll have at least 2 slices that are whole “steaks”. The remaining smaller pieces can be sliced thin and grilled.
Tips on How to Roast Cauliflower Steaks
- Slicing the cauliflower is the trickiest part of this recipe. We discussed it above, so hopefully our tips help.
- Add what ever spices you like. We have a simple and savory marinade. But you can always add your favorite steak seasonings or rubs. These steak seasonings aren’t just for meat! They’re great on vegetables.
- this recipe is essentially vegan, but if you want to make it vegetarian by adding cheese, go for it! We love adding a handful of parmesan or cheddar on the steaks after roasting. The melted cheese adds another delicious layer of flavor.
- We love adding a handful of fresh chopped herbs. The bright flavors of fresh chopped herbs on the cauliflower is fantastic.
- More roasted cauliflower steaks recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Parmesan
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 lbs.-910g)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme (or herbs of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) lemon pepper seasoning or seasoning salt
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup (25 g) fresh grated parmesan cheese , or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) minced parsley or cilantro
- optional – red chili flakes , to taste
- Pre-heat oven to Roast at 400°F/205°C and set the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- For the marinade: In bowl combine oil, Worcestershire sauce, dried herbs, lemon pepper/seasoning salt, garlic (or garlic powder), and onion powder. Whisk ingredients together.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1/2-inch (1.25cm) thick steaks. Keep the smaller pieces to roast with the "steaks".
- Gently lay cauliflower on a baking sheet pan in a single layer. Brush the marinade on both sides of the cauliflower slices. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the cauliflower to your personal taste.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and roast at 400°F/205°C for 20 minutes, or until the bottom side is golden. Gently flip the cauliflower steaks over.
- Continue Roasting at 400°F/205°C for 10-20 or until crisp and tender or cooked to your liking.
- Immediately sprinkle the parmesan cheese on the hot cauliflower so the cheese can melt.
- If needed to melt the cheese, place in the tray back in the oven for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top the cauliflower with minced parsley or cilantro and optional red chili flakes.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Why was the cauliflower tough?
Maybe because you didn’t cook it long enough or because it was cut too thick. Just roast it for about another 5 minutes. Sometimes you can’t rush cauliflower. Once it gets enough roasting time, these roasted cauliflower steaks will be wonderfully tender.
Make Chili garlic onion crunch to serve!
Our homemade chili garlic onion crunch recipe is amazing on these steaks. If you love spice, onions, garlic and a flavor blast, then you have to try our homemade chili crunch oil recipe on them. It’s addicting and each bite of this baked cauliflower steak is an explosion of umami flavor.
More Easy Recipe
- Air fryer turkey and we mean a whole turkey. Is this even possible? Yes! and it’s a juicy amazing turkey too.
- Recipe for Steak bites in the air fryer
- Roasted “frosted” cauliflower with cheese
- Grilled pork steaks Vietnamese Style
- Air fried cauliflower with sriracha
- Check out this great article on different varieties of cauliflower that you can grow and cook