Air Fryer Potato Wedge Fries
These air fryer potato wedges or thick cut french fries are a great starter recipe if you’re new to air frying. Hot and less greasy fries are ready in minutes.
Air fryer Potato Wedges or Thick Cut French Fries
It doesn’t take much to make us happy, especially when it comes to warm homemade French fries or potato wedges in the air fryer. We’re still surprised at how amazing the air fryer is when it comes to cooking so many types of foods. It’s not solely built to reheat frozen foods. And when you make your first batch of fresh homemade French fries or wedges, you’ll be a convert like we are. Add a great ketchup or your favorite dip and it’s snack time! Or if you are like us, ketchup with some malt vinegar mixed in. Yummy!
Video: Watch how to air fry French fries
Air Fryer Potato Wedges with Less oil and healthier fries
Ok, we all know fried French fries aren’t healthy but when cooked in the air fryer you can easily reduce the fat and calorie content. You can’t eat a ton but in moderation, air fried French fries can certainly be “healthier” than oil fried versions. If you’re looking to treat yourself to french fries without all the greasy oil calories, then air frying them is definitely the way to go.
Are air fried French fries crispy?
It doesn’t take much to oil to get a nice crispy batch of air fried French fries or potato wedges. The outside texture is definitely like a roasted “crisp” but not like a deep fried crunch. You might be missing the crunch factor but think of all the calories you’re not consuming if you air fried the potatoes. The air fried version is satisfying. And with your favorite ketchup, mustard or dipping sauce you can enjoy more fries without the guilt!
Best Potatoes for This Recipe
We’re fans of russet potatoes and gold potatoes. The creamy texture of russets and golds are fantastic. But you can certainly use white potatoes. For red potatoes, they’re too waxy and don’t give the crispy texture that we like. Red potatoes are our least favorite potato to air fry.
Our Favorite Air Fryer Tools
We LOVE the Evo Oil Sprayers. Great for grilling, air frying, and everyday cooking. They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
Parchment sheets make clean up easy and minimize sticking food in your air fryer or bamboo steamer. Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
Air Fryer Homemade Wedge Fries
- 1 pound (454 g) Russet or Gold potatoes (or any high starch potato)
- oil spray or olive oil, to coat fries
- kosher salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cut potatoes into wedges about 1/2 thick at the base. (Try to keep them as evenly sized as possible for even cooking.)
- Add potatoes to bowl. Spray or drizzle with oil to evenly coat the wedges. Season with salt & pepper. Toss to evenly coat the wedges. Place the wedges in air fryer basket and spread them evenly over the basket.
- Air Fry at 380°F for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how thick you cut the wedges and on your particular air fryer model. A couple times while cooking, gently shake and turn the potatoes. Try not to break them. For crisper potatoes, shake and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and season with additional salt & pepper if desired. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information per Serving
What is the Best Air Fryer?
We have 15 different air fryers, all different brands and we definitely have our favorites.
Here’s our extensive write up on Air Fryer World’s Best Air Fryer Guide. There’s so many on the market now. You just need to research and find the ones that fits your needs, capacity and style. We group the basket style air fryers into 2 main size groups: 3-4 qt. range & the 5-6 qt. range. There’s oven style and basket style. With so many to choose from, we highlight the ones that are most popular for small to medium sized families. Here’s our favorites:
Good Mid-Sized Air Fryers
The non-stick basket style (non-wire base) & smoothness of the basket tray is great for clean up. Easily cooks 2-3 servings of fish & meat.
Great ceramic coated basket for easy clean-up. Super powerful fan that often cooks food hotter & faster than other air fryers.
Good Larger Air Fryers
One of our favorite larger basket style air fryers. Great basket size for about 4 servings. Clean up is great. It has become one of our kitchen favorites.
Instant Pot Brand makes air fryers. The Vortex plus 9-in-1 is beyond the conventional air fryer. Broil, Bake, Dehydrate, Rotisserie, Roast and Re-heat.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Here’s more air fryer recipes to enjoy:
More Easy Recipes:
- One of our favorite air fryer recipes to make is this herbed turkey breast.
- Here’s a awesome site dedicated to great air fryer recipes, tips and tutorials.
- Air Fryer cauliflower
- Chicken wings in the air fryer are fantastic!
- Crispy Brussels sprouts in the air fryer are always a favorite
- Shrimp cocktail in the air fryer is way better than boiled shrimp