Skillet Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Wine Sauce
Skillet Creamy Chicken in Mushroom Wine Sauce
This week was a doozy. We had a week long photoshoot that required another week of pre-pro meetings and prep. All this eventually comes down to lots of tired evenings and coming home hungry. Eating out isn’t always the option because even simple home cooked meals are better than quick “eating out” meals. Our skillet chicken recipe is our gold standard of easy, homemade and quick. Searing the chicken in a skillet and then deglazing the pan with a homemade creamy mushroom wine sauce is super easy. It’s incredible how quickly the meal comes together in the pan and seriously, it’s as good as restaurant style dinner. Every time we cook this recipe for chicken in creamy mushroom wine sauce, we become more obsessed with it’s flavors.
Video: Creamy Chicken in Mushroom Wine Sauce Recipe
The chicken is juicy, flavorful and absolutely delicious. The mushroom white wine sauce takes the dish over the top and it’s always a wonder at how satisfying a simple dinner can be. Better yet, there’s very little dishes to have to tend to at the end of the dinner. Pour yourself a favorite glass of wine and you can feast on a fancy-schmancy looking dinner without the big price tag. That’s a winner-winner chicken dinner in our books and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
diane and todd
How to Cook Skillet Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
We love lots of sliced mushrooms. But if you’re not a mushroom fan, just omit it and use chopped onions instead for a creamy onion sauce!
Sear the chicken thighs or you can also use any cut of chicken that you like. Remove the chicken from the pan and cook the onions and garlic. YUM.
Here’s some more Easy Skillet Dinners:
- Sauce chicken and broccoli stir fry recipe
- Thai chicken meatballs in curry sauce recipe
- Easy Everyday Skillet Recipes
Cream Chicken With Mushroom White Wine Sauce
- 2 pounds (907 g) Chicken Thighs , Drumsticks or Breasts (bone in, skin on *see head note)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) Butter , divided
- 1/2 (1/2 ) onion , diced
- 3-4 cloves (3-4 cloves) garlic , minced or crushed
- 8 oz. (227 g) Brown Mushrooms , sliced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) Cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) White Wine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Chicken Broth
- Salt , to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper , to taste
- 3-4 (3-4 ) sprigs fresh herbs (Thyme , Parsley, Oregano, Basil etc. *see head not, or 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 (2 ) whole Bay Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt , or more to taste + additional for seasoning chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fresh cracked black pepper , or more to taste + additional for seasoning chicken
- Pat dry chicken. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In heat a large skillet over medium heat and then melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add chicken and brown each side of the chicken, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining Tablespoon of butter (if needethen stir in the onions & garlic, cooking for about 1 minute or until softened. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the mushrooms. Sauté until onions, garlic and mushrooms until all become soft and caramelized, about 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the cream. Add the cream/flour mixture, wine and chicken broth into the pan with the mushrooms & onion. Give it a good stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it.
- Return chicken to the pan. Add the herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper. After the liquids reach a simmer, reduce heat & continue to cook on a low simmer for another 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, flipping the chicken halfway through.
- Taste sauce for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with mushroom cream sauce ladled over chicken.