Tis’ the season for appetizers, delicious and flavorful small bites that we never, ever get tired of. When the jolly and hectic holidays arrive, we’re in a non stop dinner party mode, which can be either jolly or hectic. Between our weekly gathering of friends, family, neighbors and staff, thinking about what to serve small to medium to large groups every time can be very time consuming.
Appetizers are our tried and true dishes that are easy to make and easy to please. Having a few plates of appetizers out, a couple of cocktails, great conversation and roaring music can quickly fill up our guests and distract them from thinking that they need a full meal. Often times, we ourselves, can eat a plate appetizers and call it a dinner! Who doesn’t love appetizers? Who can’t live off appetizers? At a hectic party, just munching and boozing is perfectly legal and satisfying.
We love our appetizers, especially these crispy chicken wings with an spicy/sweet Asian sauce…yum, yum, yum. Give us a big plate of these crispy asian chicken wings, a couple of beers each and our bellies are happy.
And that’s just two of us! If we make this for our gang of brothers and their friends, we’re looking at making maybe, at least, 20 pounds of crispy chicken wings? How many kegs of beers? Brothers, if you’re reading this, we’ll provide the crispy chicken wings, YOU GUYS provide the beer! These crispy chicken wings are addicting not only because of the sauce that it’s tossed in, but because they’re fried to a gold crisp.
Every bite is slightly crunchy from the flour batter, the chicken meat is juicy down to the bone and the sweet/spicy sauce is finger biting good. When we made these, we ate them so quick and had to force ourselves to stop so that we can take the pictures. Getting our fingers all wrapped up with chicken wings glistening with sweet/spicy sauce makes it really, really hard to want to wash our hands, grab the camera and play photographer.
Oh, yes, we forgot. We have a food blog and we must….take…a picture… Interrupting a feast of crispy chicken wings for a picture took a little persuasion, but had to have something to show everyone how fun it is to eat with your hands and drink lots of beer. The only way to enjoy chicken wings, hot wings, or buffalo wings (what ever you want to call them) is with cold beer. That’s our pairing for this dish, just some good beer of your choice to wash it all down with.
Fry these chicken wings up ahead of time if you wish and they’ll still stay crispy. Right before you serve them, just top them of with the chicken wing sauce and top with some fresh scallions and cilantro. Definitely customize the sauce to your spice level too. Hook the chicken wings up with some extra heat and you will be rewarded with great flavors! -diane and todd Here’s the complete list of our chicken wing recipes.
Asian Crispy Chicken Wings + Spicy Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 30 min
- about 2 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints.
- 1 cup rice flour or all purpose flour.
- about 1 cup grape seed/peanut/vegetable oil for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce. We highly recommend fish sauce, if you have it.
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chili sauce, tabasco sauce, or sriracha sauce. OR about 2 finely minced thai chilis. Use a little less of these if you want it more mild, or use more if you want it extra spicy!
- lots of fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
- Rinse chicken wings and pat dry. In bowl, add rice flour and fresh ground black pepper and add wings to coat with flour.
- Fry wings on both sides till cooked through and golden brown.
- For the Sauce: In small bowl, combine cornstarch and about 1 Tablespoon of water until mixture becomes watery, almost milky consistency. Combine well, then set aside.
- In saucepan, add about 1 Tablespoon oil and fry garlic until it becomes slightly golden. Add water 1 cup of water, sugar, salt, fish sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and black pepper. Combine well and allow to slowly come to boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, turn off heat.
- Slowly add about 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch to the warm sauce mixture until it becomes thick enough to allow sauce to cling to wings. If the first Tablespoon was enough, then do not use the rest.
- In separate bowl, add crispy chicken wings and toss with chili sauce.
- Top with some sliced green onion and/or cilantro.
- Serve with cold BEER. For the kids, juice and water and a little beer.