Sweet Chili Garlic Extra Spicy Asian Crispy Chicken Wings
This crispy Asian chicken Wings recipe was one of our first recipe posts back in 2008. An oldie but goodie!
Crispy Asian Chicken Wings Recipe
Tis’ the season for appetizers, delicious and flavorful small bites that we never, ever get tired of. When the jolly and hectic holidays arrive, we’re in a non stop dinner party mode, which can be either jolly or hectic. Between our weekly gathering of friends, family, neighbors and staff, thinking about what to serve small to medium to large groups every time can be very time consuming. Appetizers are our tried and true dishes that are easy to make and easy to please. Having a few plates of appetizers out, a couple of cocktails, great conversation and roaring music can quickly fill up our guests and distract them from thinking that they need a full meal. Often times, we ourselves, can eat a plate appetizers and call it a dinner.
Extra Spicy Asian Chicken Wing Sauce for the Fearless
We love our appetizers, especially these crispy chicken wings with an spicy/sweet Asian sauce…yum. Give us a big plate of these crispy asian chicken wings, a couple of beers each and our bellies are happy. And that’s just two of us! These crispy chicken wings are addicting not only because of the sauce that it’s tossed in, but because they’re fried to a gold crisp. Every bite is slightly crunchy from the flour batter, the chicken meat is juicy down to the bone and the sweet/spicy sauce is finger biting good. When we made these, we ate them so quick and had to force ourselves to stop so that we can take the pictures. Getting our fingers all wrapped up with chicken wings glistening with sweet/spicy sauce makes it even more delicious. The only way to enjoy chicken wings is with cold beer.
Make Ahead Wings
Fry these chicken wings up ahead of time if you wish and they’ll still stay crispy. Right before you serve them, just top them of with the chicken wing sauce and top with some fresh scallions and cilantro. Definitely customize the sauce to your spice level too. Hook these asian chicken wings up with some extra heat and you will be rewarded with great flavors!
Sweet and Extra Spicy Crispy Asian Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings , rinsed and patted dry
- salt , to taste
- black pepper, , to taste
Sweet-Spicy Chili Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce (We highly recommend fish sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons garlic chili sauce , tabasco sauce, or sriracha sauce. OR about 2 finely minced thai chilis. Use a little less of these if you want it more mild, or use more if you want it extra spicy!
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- lots of fresh ground black pepper to taste
- For the Sweet Spicy Chili Sauce: In small bowl, combine cornstarch and about 1 Tablespoon of water until mixture becomes watery, almost milky consistency. Combine well to break apart any cornstarch lumps, then set aside.
- Heat saucepan on medium-high heat, then add oil and garlic. Cook until it becomes slightly golden, about 30 seconds-1 minute. Add 1 cup of water, sugar, salt, fish sauce, garlic chili sauce, vinegar, and black pepper. Combine well and allow to slowly come to boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, immediately reduce heat to low simmer.
- Slowly add the cornstarch/water mixture until it becomes thick enough to allow sauce to cling to wings.
- Cook the Wings: Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- On prepared baking sheet pan, spread chicken wings out in one even layer (we don’t coat our wings with oil before baking, but you can if you want. We find that the oil just makes the wings greasier. The wings release enough fat already). Season chicken wings with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until golden brown, flipping the wings halfway through baking, after the first 25 minutes or so.
- In a bowl, add cooked chicken wings and toss with chili sauce. Top with some sliced green onion and/or cilantro.
Crispy Wing Alternate Cooking MethodsTraditional Fry in Oil (uses about 1/2-3/4 cup of cornstarch to coat wings). Toss the wings in cornstarch to coat, shaking off excess cornstarch. Heat about 2-inches of oil in a large pot to 375°F. Fry in batches for about 8 minutes per batch, or until golden and cooked through. Make sure to turn the wings a couple times while cooking so they cook evenly. Season with salt & pepper. Air Fryer Chicken Wings (here’s our favorite Air Fryer) Season wings with salt & pepper. Air Fry at 400°F for 25-30 minutes, flipping 2-3 times while cooking. Toss with a little sauce, and then air fry for another 2-4 minutes. Different models and sizes of air fryers cook quicker than others. So adjust times accordingly.
Nutrition Information per Serving
More Easy Recipes
- Sriracha chicken wings
- Honey mustard chicken wings
- Air Fryer chicken wings
- Sriracha honey glazed wings
- Curry chicken wings
- Here’s a great Momofuku chicken wings recipe.
Here’s all our Chicken Wings Recipes if you’re hungry for more or something less spicy.