“Inside a Watermelon” Margaritas – Fresh & Perfect For A Crowd
Watermelon margaritas don’t have to be boring. Our quirky version is fun and entertaining. And best of all, it is delicious!
Watermelon Margaritas Recipe
Our love for fresh watermelon this time of year grows as the watermelons become more sweet as they ripen on the vine. We went as far as to share our tip on spanking a watermelon to find the ripest and juiciest one. This technique has definitely helped us during our raging watermelon cravings while enduring this humid Southern California summer. But nothing is as fun and funny as this “inside a watermelon” juicing technique that we saw on buzzfeed and our friend Deb’s post on Facebook. This recipe for making watermelon margaritas is perfectly legit. Don’t let the electric mixer blades fool you. Guys are even using drills and coat hangers!
Video of fun inside-a-watermelon margarita recipe:
Fresh watermelon, good tequila, homemade simple syrup, orange bitters and fresh lime juice is all you need. Why this technique is so fabulous because it’s actually really fun and it’s perfect for fueling a thirsty crowd. And best of all, it’s a conversation piece, a crowd pleaser and will bring a load full of belly laughs when everyone finds out how you made it. Food should always be fun with friends, especially when there’s margaritas involved. Sure, it’s much easier to make it the traditional way where you muddle the watermelon inside the glass or make it all in a blender. But if you want a good laugh and some entertainment at your next party, this inside a watermelon margarita version is hilariously fun.
Have fun and drink safely ! -diane and todd
perfect to serve for a crowd
- 1 (1) seedless, ripe watermelon (about 10-12 pounds (4.5-5.5 kg). Anything larger, the beater blades won't reach inside to blend)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) Tequila (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lime juice (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) simple syrup (see Notes at end of recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) orange bitters (or to taste).
- sea salt for rimming glasses(optional)
- lime slices for garnish (optional)
- one 6-8 ounce paper or plastic cup
- Carefully cut a hole in the watermelon large enough to fit your beater blade. Push the blade into the watermelon hole and slowly blend the watermelon interior into juice. Make sure to scrape all the way to the sides and bottom of the watermelon to maximize juice.
- Ladle out about 1 cup of watermelon juice to make room for the rest of the liquid ingredients. You can reserve the 1 cup of removed juice and make a separate margarita later.
- Add tequila, lime juice, simple syrup and orange bitters. Insert the beater blades back into the watermelon to mix the margarita and combine all the ingredients.
- Cut out the bottom of a paper/plastic cup. Cut out a section of the cup so it fits into the watermelon hole to use as a spout to pour. If necessary, round out the hole in the watermelon so the cup fits smoothly against the edges and insert the cup into the watermelon hole.
- Rub some lime juice on rim of glasses and roll rim in sea salt (optional). Add ice to glasses and top with watermelon margarita and lime garnish. Enjoy!
- 2 cups (480ml) Water
- 2 cups (400g) Sugar
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool. After cool, store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Cocktails & Beyond – Here’s some of our favorite finds:
We tend to be a bit obsessive over our cocktail tools. Here’s some of our favorites we’ve collected and put to use over the years: