Club Med Bahamas- Gazpacho Recipe by Chef Stephanie Izard
Chef Stephanie Izard
I’m backtracking a bit here to the first evening at Columbus Isle. The first 1/2 day flew like the wind and I’m finally getting around to looking through the photographs of the whirlwind day. Thank goodness for pictures to remind me of what all happened or else I’d have little reminder of what I ate and ……how skinnier I was 4 days ago.
Believe me, four days of Club Med gluttony has me wearing elastic waisted pants now. My size 9 jeans that I wore on Saturday into the Bahamas can’t button up any more. Sigh.
What I enjoy about Food and Wine Festival week at Club Med are all the fabulous food demonstrations throughout the day. Presented by talented chefs from around the United States, each demonstration is a reflection of his/her specialty talents, cooking techniques and flavors. And, of course, there’s plenty of free samples for all the guests!
Lucky I brought my sweat pants to wear towards the end of the week. Again, sigh.
Stephanie Izard, last season’s Top Chef winner, presented a cooking demonstration for her mango & almond white gazpacho with spiced shrimp. Now I’ve never been won over by a gazpacho soup because really, to me, soup needs to be hot. I grew up eating soup that was HOT and anything that was cold was no good and a sacrilege. Cold soup in my household was a neglected soup.
So when I heard of the dish, I wasn’t too ecstatic about it, but when I did taste it, Stephanie won me over. I was floored at the nutty undertones and bright, crisp layers of mango flavor. The bounce of the perfectly cooked spiced shrimp gave a wonderful bite to the smooth gazpacho. This dish is beyond EXCELLENT. I had two servings. Oh yes I did.
Why not have two servings, right? At an amazing all inclusive resort like this, it’s all part of the deal.
Read my 2009 Club Med Blogger series:
- Heading to Bahamas blogger bash
- Club Med -Day 0.5, cocktail party, Bahama Mama Cocktail
- Club Med -Day 2, beach photoshoot crazy
- Club Med – White Gazpacho Recipe and more blogger pics!
- Club Med – Fish & Cockburn Town
- Club Med – Green Flash Cocktail
- Club Med – Deep Sea Fishing
Mango & Almond White Gazpacho Soup
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (mango, cucumber, garlic, almonds, olive oil, sriracha, salt, and pepper) and blend until smooth.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Pass through a sieve. Serve chilled.