Butternut Squash Galette with Bacon and Parmesan
It’s this time of year that we crave savory galettes. Our butternut squash galette recipe with bacon and parmesan is our go-to favorite galette to make and share.
We thought about making a galette in the wood fired oven today. This was the day that we set aside as our practice day to make sure we stay consistent and don’t burn all our food, especially if we plan a big dinner party around the oven. But with so many things on our “practice cooking list”, adding a galette would be over-load.
Seriously, a galette on top of the loaves of parmesan bread, bialys, wine and onion dip, chicken wings and apple pastries? Did we really need to add another galette to our practice list? We both looked at each other and said, “no more food”.
Video: Butternut Squash Galette Recipe with Bacon AND Parmesan
But alas, we remembered we had this recipe: an awesome butternut squash galette recipe and photo saved in our archives to share for our Christmas gathering and it totally slipped our memories until today.
Perfect Squash Galette for Sharing
Butternut squash, bacon and parmesan galette for Christmas. It’s the perfect, elegant yet easy dish to share when everyone else is bringing cookies, cookies and more cookies.
We’re so glad we didn’t make the galette today and we’ll save it for Christmas because we’ll enjoy it much more when we don’t have three loaves of bread, a mound of bialys, chicken wings and a ton more of food to squeeze into our bellies. And don’t worry, we don’t waste any of our food. It’s going to all our neighbors and friends!
Hope you all spend time with the ones you love, eat awesome food, share great stories, laughs and hugs. That’s what Christmas is all about.
Happy Holidays Everyone!
diane and todd
More Great Galette Recipes Here:
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Galette
- Leftover Thanksgiving Galette
- Sausage Galette with Zucchini, Ricotta and Sage
- Heirloom Tomato Galette
- Broccoli and Cheese Galette
- Dill Chicken Pot Pie Galette
- Kale, Corn and Feta Cheese Galette
- Brown Butter Apple Galette
- Brandied Pear Galette with Caramel Sauce
This butternut squash galette recipe was originally published in 2014 and re-published in 2018 with a new video!
Butternut Squash and Bacon Galette Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash or half of a medium (about 1 pound or 455g)
- 4 slices bacon , cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt or sea salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (add on top before baking)
Galette dough ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups (155g) all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted Butter (1 stick or 113g), cut into 1/2-inch (12mm) pieces
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea Salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold Water (you may not end up using the full amount)
- Egg wash (one egg mixed with 2 tablespoons of water) or Heavy Cream, for brushing the crust
- Make the crust dough: In a bowl, pinch together the flour, butter, sugar, and salt with your fingertips until most of the big chunks of butter are flattened or broken up and there is no remaining dry flour sections.
- Incorporate enough of the cold water into the flour until the mixture binds together and forms a rough ball. Knead the ball just until the dough begins to become smooth. Don't overwork the dough or else it will become tough.
- Roll the dough into a ball, and then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes (can be chilled overnight or frozen for future use).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Make the filling: Peel, seed, and cut butternut squash in 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the bacon until it renders the fat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until they are soft. Add the butternut squash, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook butternut squash begins to soft, about 5 minutes.
- Taste for additional salt/pepper seasoning, if needed. Remove from heat and set aside to cool before filling galette.
- On a floured surface, roll the disk out to a circle about 12 inches (30-cm) in diameter. Gently transfer the dough onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Spreading the butternut squash mixture out evenly to within about 2 inches (5 cm) of the outside edge. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the filling. Fold the edge of the dough over the filling, creasing and folding until completing the circle. Brush the crust with the egg wash or heavy cream.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information per Serving