This is a continuing series we’re sharing for Summer on our favorite heirloom tomatoes that we’re growing. And we have a delicious recipe included too! You can visit all our tomato recipes on our tomato page.
Every once in a while two cravings collide and something magical happens. Sometimes it all ends up being one big, tasteless mess and easily forgotten dish. But on occasion, these random food ideas can marry into a lovely dish that we’ll make over and over. So a few weeks ago we were craving a baked tomato dish and aside from our tomato tarts that we love making, the idea of combining a crisp and tomato popped up like a light bulb.
Introducing, the tomato crisp. It has everything that we love about summer: vine ripened heirloom tomatoes + crisp topping + baked in the oven = perfect savory crisp dish. The math says it all.
If you’re already a fan of fruit crisps (raise your hands high!) and heirloom tomatoes, then combining these two isn’t too far fetched of a culinary idea. Really, the idea of a savory tomato crisp is quite delicious. The juicy, baked tomatoes are essentially and botanically speaking, a fruit anyways. So all you’re really changing is the flavor from a sweet stonefruit or berry profile to a lovely tomato-y sweet flavor.
Consider this tomato crisp the perfect side dish to a grilled meat dish or a pairing to a nice vegetarian salad. Either way, the textures of the crisp oats and juicy tomatoes underneath add to the essential flavors and colors of Summer. It can’t be beat.
And these lovely tomatoes we’re making them with? They’re chocolate stripe heirloom tomatoes and aren’t they a beauty to behold? These chocolate stripes actually did extremely well in the garden, giving off at least 3 dozen medium to large sized fruit. The colors and striping are very striking and the sweet flavors make this at the top of our heirloom tomato list. It’s definitely going to be on the list for next year because they’re the plant that kept on giving.
Warm out of the oven, this tomato crisp has crunchy oat texture
give yourself a big scoop
juicy sweet tomatoes underneath
Tomato Crisp Recipe
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 1 hour
See post for additional recipe details.
- 2 pounds (910g) ripe Tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon (8g) Cornstarch
- Kosher or Sea Salt
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup (90g) Flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced Italian Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced or crushed Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick / 113g) cold unsalted Butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup (40g) old-fashioned Oats
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 2 qt. baking dish.
- Put the cut tomatoes into the prepared baking dish. Toss with the cornstarch and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Combine the flour, cheese, parsley, garlic, brown sugar and teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Mix together well.
- Pinch the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand (or cut it into the flour mix with a pastry cutter). Work in the oats with your fingers until evenly distributed.
- Spread the crisp topping over the tomatoes. Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.