Peach and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Throughout the Summer we’re always staring at baskets full of heirloom tomatoes and fresh fruit from the garden. This is definitely a good thing. Not only do we get to be spoiled by the warm season’s bounty, but the garden possums, squirrels, and mockingbirds get to eat the fruit in full glory. Sharing is a good thing.
But when it comes to our white peaches, it’s always a battle to keep up with the fruit. Peaches are one of those fruits that always choose to ripen all at exactly the right time. The struggle is to eat them fast enough before gravity and possums take their toll on the fruit. The frustrating part about Summer peaches is that they always decide to have a community ripening fest and they somehow are able to coordinate their “drops” all within a few day. We’re hustling to catch them before they fall and it’s such a sad waste to see them rot to the ground. So to keep up with eating different peach recipes back to back, we started pairing them in salads with heirloom tomatoes.
Seriously, this combination of juicy sweet peaches and tomatoes is lethal. It’s Summer fruit salad that can often be overlooked because tomatoes are fruits too! We can’t forget that tomatoes are a fruit and it’s wonderful to treat them as fruit in recipes. Added with some fresh thyme, a savory vinaigrette and bite full of rich cheese, you have the best of Summer on a plate. We used goat cheese, but burata cheese would be our first choice if we wanted to make this again. Trust us, this is a salad that we’ll be having multiple times because it’s so simple, yet satisfyingly Summer.
diane and todd
Peach and Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe
- 3 ripe Peaches , pitted & sliced
- 2 medium heirloom Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) Olive or Grape Seed Oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- Kosher or Sea Salt , to taste
- 2 ounces (56g) Goat Cheese, crumbled in large chunks
- optional - fresh thyme sprigs , for garnish
- In jar or medium bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients well (oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, thyme and salt).
- On plate, assemble sliced peaches, tomatoes, and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle vinaigrette on top. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.