Blood Orange Chocolate Muffins
“I want a pastry!” “I want a muffin!”
A monster has been created by spoiling her too much. The latest Strawberry Crossover may have been just a little too good and now the demands for fresh breakfast delights are increasing. Good thing muffins are quick and easy to make.
Not that I mind the demands. Nothing makes me happier than cooking or baking for the ones I love, especially when I am lucky enough to have someone as special as Diane who can cook like a badass too, so I know the favor will be returned. Even pre-cappuccino hour demands are looked upon with pleasure.
A muffin she wants, a muffin it is. Lately any muffin requests have been met by freshly baked lemon muffins, but it was time to mix it up a bit. Blood oranges are still filling our coffers, so with a little twist a blood orange muffin recipe was born.
Just as I’m about to spoon the batter into the muffin pan, the beautiful little monster declares, “I want chocolate!”
Well, that isn’t entirely true. She is beautiful, and she did want chocolate, but she isn’t really a monster. Yet. With a few chops of the knife I broke up a dark chocolate bar into chunks, gently mixed them into the batter and sent everything off to the oven for baking.
Soon the kitchen air was warm and sweet, I had my morning cappuccino, we shared the chocolate oozing muffins and everyone was happy. Not a bad way to start the morning.
Chocolate and blood orange is a deadly combination!
Click Here for more More Blood Orange Recipes
Other Blood Orange Ideas:
- Blood Orange Margarita – You must try this!
- Substitute blood orange for the Meyer Lemon in our Meyer Lemon Scones
- Smitten Kitchen’s Blood Orange Tart
There were tons of additional blood orange recipe ideas in the comments of our latest Blood Orange Giveaway (deadline has passed)
Blood Orange Chocolate Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups (275g) unbleached, all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6g) Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) Kosher Salt
- grated Zest of 3 Blood Oranges
- 6 ounces (170g) Dark Chocolate Chunks or Chips
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted Butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (155ml) fresh Blood Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoons (5ml)Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
Blood Orange Glaze
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh Blood Orange Juice
Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Grease & flour muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and zest until well mixed. Mix in chocolate chunks.
- Combine melted butter, blood orange juice, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix until well combined. Fold into dry mixture until just combined (important- do not overmix). Spoon into muffin pan cups, mounding full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly brown. Test with a tooth pick to double check center doneness (should come out clean unless it hits chocolate.) While muffins bake, make blood orange glaze: combine sugar and blood orange juice in a small saucepan and heat to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
- Poke muffins in a few places with a toothpick and pour over warm glaze. Allow to cool.