Creamy Avocado Dip or Dressing- A Failure Worth Keeping
Is it a creamy avocado dip or dressing? It can actually be both deepening on how big your avocado is!
Frustrations in the kitchen aren’t new to us. Struggling is learning and of course, a test of patience. If there’s a recipe we kept fighting, this was the one but when we realized we needed to stop, the recipe couldn’t have been more perfect. A few months ago we were trying to perfect a creamy cilantro dressing for our studio shoot lunches. Team lunches are a big deal, especially when it comes to our salad bar so we’re obsessed with making it amazing. We just couldn’t get the avocado to the texture of a dressing after it was chilled. Our problem was that we didn’t want to dilute it down too much because we LOVE the flavor of the avocado, but if there was too much avocado then it became too think.
Fast forward about 8 attempts later in the kitchen did we realize that what we were dealing with was actually the PERFECT recipe for a dip! Forget the dressing. We dunked some carrots and celery into our multiple batches of “failed dressings” and talked out loud at how amazing of a dip it was and why we were fighting it to try to force it to become a dressing.
So voila! Our final recipe for our creamy avocado dip was born without any more effort. And for the dressing version? Just add more milk or water and it becomes the dressing for a bed of salad. It’s times like these when we “think about it too much” and try to force something that isn’t meant to be. This creamy avocado dip recipe has been a hit and the story that goes with it makes it even more delicious and precious.
Enjoy. -diane and todd
Here’s more avocado recipes to enjoy.
Creamy Avocado Parmesan Dip or Dressing
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium avocado , peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt , or to taste
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
For the Salad:
- Your favorite greens
- Tomatoes , carrots, cucumbers, etc…
- parmesan shavings
- black pepper , to taste
- lime wedges (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender (oil, water, mayonnaise, avocado, lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, black pepper, salt, parmesan, sugar, and chili flakes) until everything is smooth.
- Adjust to your preferred consistency if needed by adding a little bit of water at a time.
- Add to to your favorite salad greens and all your favorite salad toppings.