Grilled Corn Salad with Smoky Vinaigrette
It’s this time of year that we’re craving fresh corn and this grilled corn salad is always on the rotating menu. Gorgeous corn is making its appearance at farmers markets and we just can’t stop eating them. Such pleasure! Though it’s not officially Summer yet, it’s hard not to be in such the mood for fresh grilled salads and pretty much anything that comes off the bbq. Blame it on the weather for putting everyone in the mood for dining al fresco, with a plenitude of beer and rose.
Favorite Summer Grilled Corn Salad
We’ll also blame it on our neighbors, whose grills and bbq fill the air with the smell of smoke, char and the essence that embodies Summer. We know what the pups feel like when we’re cooking and their noses start to rise into the air and sniff what ever is coming out of our kitchen. This time of year we can often be seen noses leading us forward sniffing through the grilling air. As of late, we’ll walk into our back yard and immediately assume puppy sniff out position. We both know we’re smelling the same aroma when we both look at each other and the looks that are exchanged are like light bulbs going on. “…bbq! do you smell what I smell? someone’s bbq-ing. Let’s grill something for dinner!”.
Video: Grilled Corn Salad Recipe:
When it comes to bbq, we act like hungry puppies. Oy, the life of living with two hungry doggies. Their habits start to rub off on us. For this meal, we knew it was going to be corn. Maybe a salad? Yes, a grilled corn salad. And what to add? Let’s see what we have left over in the kitchen from the weeks photo shoots and throw those on the grill too.We found one slightly tired looking red bell pepper, which was perfect because we were going to wilt and char it to perfection anyways. Perfection. A last minute dinner with some scrounged up vegetables and ingredients was the perfect meal to a garden dinner.
The wonderful part about this salad is that you can add what ever grilled vegetables that suit your pleasure. Got tons of garden zucchini? Eggplant? asparagus? Grill them all up and make this salad a rainbow of Summer’s best vegetables. But what ever you do, make sure you have plenty of the corn on hand because those pops of sweet kernels perfumed with the perfect bbq char is what really makes this salad fabulous. The dressing is also super duper wonderful and if you’re a dressing freak, make double the dressing because it’s that good!
As the sun was setting and we were enjoying this salad in the garden, we were wondering if our neighbors were now raising their noses in the air to sniff our little bbq party. See? all these puppy sniffing habits happen to us all.
Here’s some more great corn recipes for Summer.
Check out a Few of our Favorite BBQs & Tools:Some tools, grills, and smokers make BBQ and grilling all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Avoid BBQ Tool Sets. We’ve yet to find a set where we love everything in it. Either the spatula or the tongs or the brush is wonky. Or there is stuff in there that is never needed. Do yourself a favor and just buy what you need a la carte. For grilling tongs, these bad boys are awesome.
Have a grilling or BBQ question, you’ll most likely find an answer here. The most comprehensive grilling & BBQ book we’ve ever found, by far. He breaks down the science and myths, the tools, solid recipes, perfecting techniques, what’s BBQ competition tricks aren’t worth the extra time at home, and much more. You will be grill & BBQ enlightened.
Grilling should never be confined to the daylight. Love this BBQ light. Good brightness, solid magnets plus clamp option. We’ve gone through 1/2 dozen different grilling lights before falling in love with this one. Be ready to grill all night long.
Love this offset smoker. Solid construction. Isn’t perfect, but with a couple easy modifications it will smoke as well as the $1k + smokers. Can use the main chamber also as a regular charcoal grill. Love using it as a regular grill using lump charcoal or briquettes. Huge cooking surface.
One of the best for the money. Solid gas grill! Nothing like the quick convenience of a good gas grill.
Some days we just need to keep the little things contained on the grill. Throw them all into a basket and grill from there. Easy-peasy.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
Grilled Corn Salad Recipe
for the salad:
- 3 ears (3 ears) fresh corn , shucked
- 1 (1 ) fresh chili to taste (jalapeno, anaheim, poblano or serrano)
- 1 (1 ) bell pepper
- olive oil for coating
- 1 medium (1 medium) cucumber , chopped
- 1 medium (1 medium) tomato , chopped
- 4 ounces (113 g) feta cheese , crumbled
- fresh handful of basil or herbs , minced
- salt , to taste
- ground black pepper , to taste
for the dressing:
- 1 clove (1 clove) garlic , crushed or fine mince
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon (2.5 ml) soy sauce or Worchestershire (use Tamari for Gluten Free)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- black pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: combine dressing ingredients in mason jar. Close the lid and shake ingredients together until well combined. Or combine all ingredients together in medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Roast the corn, peppers and chili: Lightly coat whole corn, bell pepper and chili with oil. Heat the grill or bbq on high heat and roast the corn, bell pepper and chili until cooked and slightly charred.
- Allow vegetables to cool, then in a large bowl, shuck the corn. Peel the chili pepper and bell pepper and then remove the seeds. Chop the bell pepper and mince the chili pepper. Add to bowl with the corn.
- In same bowl, add cucumber, tomato and herbs.
- Before serving, shake or combine dressing again and toss into salad. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.