Hearty Beef Stew in Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
The weather is perfect for this beef stew recipe. It’s been cold outside and when we mean cold, it’s down to the low 50’s. Some of you friends might be laughing at us as you’re sitting in blizzard county, but remember that So Cal is always notoriously mild during Winter. Yes, we’re quite spoiled here when we’re basking in warm afternoon sun during the Winter. But that doesn’t keep us from craving warm, comforting foods to keep us warm when it’s 55°F outside. That’s when this hearty beef stew comes in as a stellar weeknight dinner to feed and fuel us after a long day.
Video: Saucy and Flavorful Beef Stew Recipe
We’re not new to the Instant Pot cooking craze and we definitely have our fair share of slow cookers. So when we’re craving this awesome and flavorful beef stew, we have the perfect cookers to make dinner simple. The Instant Pot is a fantastic tool because it cooks even frozen meats to tender perfection. If you forgot to put out your meat to thaw, the Instant pot can cook it much quicker than a slow cooker can.
So which cooker to reach for when making our beef stew? Well, if you have all day you can just make it in your slow cooker. And when you come home, dinner is served! If you’re short on time or need dinner quicker, then the Instant Pot or pressure cooker should be your go-to cooker. So basically if you plan ahead and are not rushed for dinner, then the slow cooker will do just fine. If you were a little more spontaneous and not-so-organized like we were, then the Instant pot will have dinner in about an hour.
Rich and Flavorful Beef Stew with Veggies
The flavors of our beef stew are rich and savory. It’s because we love adding soy sauce or Worcetershire to the mix. The combination of the umami and the beef, stewing with all the veggies creates a fantastic bowl of flavorful stew. Everything binds tougher perfectly and you’ll have enough food to feed a family of 4 for two days. Or if you have leftovers, make a beef stew pot pie. That’s next on our list!
diane and todd
Photos: How To Make Beef Stew in Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
Our Favorite Cookers:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household:
Here’s some more great Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Comfort Food Recipes:
Amazing Beef Stew (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker)
- 2 pounds (907 g) chuck roast , cut into bite sized pieces or beef stew meat
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil or butter
- 1 medium (1 medium) onion , chopped
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) garlic , minced or crushed
- 4 (4 ) carrots , cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound (454 g) potatoes , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 stalks (2 stalks) celery , chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef broth
- 14 ounces (397 g) tomato sauce (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried basil or your favorite herb
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt ,
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) corn starch
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) water
For Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
- Turn Instant Pot on "Sauté" setting and add the olive oil or melt the butter in the pot. Optional for additional beef caramelization: Add the beef and sauté until browned on all sides (if quicker method is desired, just add the beef in with the carrots & potatoes).
- Add onions and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, beef broth, tomato sauce, soy sauce/Worcestershire, dried basil, sugar, salt and black pepper. Gently stir everything to combine well
- Close the lid, close the lid vent, and pressure cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. (These are the steps we did for our Instant Pot- Press "Cancel" to stop the "Sauté" setting. Press the "Manual" button. Set the time to 45 minutes.)
- After the cooking time is complete, press "Cancel" and carefully release the pressure. Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Once pressure completely releases, open lid and add the corn starch/water mixture. Gently stir the beef stew and close the lid for about 5 minutes for the gravy to thicken. Once stew thickens, enjoy!
For Slow Cooker
- Combine all ingredient except water & cornstarch in slow cooker (beef, olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, broth, tomato sauce, soy/Worcestershire sauce, herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper).
- Cover and cook the stew on low for 7 hours or about 4 hours on high.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into the beef stew, cover with the lid, and cook for about 5 minutes or until it slightly thickens the stew. Enjoy!
More Easy Recipes:
- Whole wheat zucchini muffins
- Lemon Pepper Chicken with cream sauce
- Chocolate triple berry slab pie
- Favorite food gift guide
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2020.