Our eggplants are showing signs of surrendering to Fall’s arrival. They’re becoming yellow, tougher and seedy. The season is telling us that it’s time to cook what eggplants are still tender and to collect the seeds from the tougher ones. Our Bianca Rosa variety of eggplants are one of our favorites to grow because they are sweet, fleshy and less bitter than most other varieties. The minimal amount of seeds make the Bianca Rosa variety perfect for grilling, baking and for just about anything that requires eggplant.
One of our favorite ways to prepare eggplant is to grill it. The smokey flavor from the grill makes the slightly crisp outer surface encasing the creamy white interior flesh absolutely delectable. Often times our grilled eggplant has been intended as a component of another dish, but it somehow never makes it there. We keep snacking on the slices even while they are still almost too hot to hold.
Rosa Bianca eggplant from the garden
Grilled Eggplant Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour 30 Minutes
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
How to grill eggplant:
- Cut the eggplant either into lengthwise halves, or into 1/3-1/2" slices, depending on what you intend to use the eggplant for
(Next two steps are unnecessary if using more less bitter varieties of eggplant, such as Bianca Rosa, Japanese Eggplant, or Chinese Eggplant)
- If you are using an Italian Eggplant or similar variety, sprinkle the slices with salt, and all to sit for 45 min - 1 hr.
- Rinse off eggplant, and pat dry.
Light grill and set up for direct heat cooking, about medium heat.
- Lightly coat both sides of the eggplant with olive oil. Season with a touch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- (For Halves) - Place on grill, cut side down. Cook until the body of the eggplant gives very easily to a gentle finger prod.
- (For Slices) - Place on grill and cook until it is slightly charred. Flip and repeat. The interior texture should be soft and fairly translucent with a slightly charred outside. Tasty.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission and do not re-publish this recipe. Simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Recipe Note for Salt: All recipes containing salt are based on kosher or sea salt amounts, not table salt. If using table salt, reduce the amount used to taste.
cool, eggplant shower
Cut, drizzle with oil and grill
How do you prepare your eggplant? Please share and link away so we can all learn!