Grilled Eggplant – Rosa Bianca Eggplant Heirloom Variety
This post was one of our first recipe posts back in 2008. It’s fun to see how our photography and garden has changed over the years! It’s an oldie but goodie.
Easy Grilled Eggplant Recipe
Our eggplants are showing signs of surrendering to Fall’s arrival. They’re becoming yellow, tougher and seedy. The season is telling us that it’s time to cook what eggplants are still tender and to collect the seeds from the tougher ones. Our Bianca Rosa variety of eggplants are one of our favorites to grow because they are sweet, fleshy and less bitter than most other varieties. The minimal amount of seeds make the Bianca Rosa variety perfect for grilling, baking and for just about anything that requires eggplant.
One of our favorite ways to prepare eggplant is to grill it. The smokey flavor from the grill makes the slightly crisp outer surface encasing the creamy white interior flesh absolutely delectable. Often times our easy grilled eggplant recipe has been intended as a component of another dish, but it somehow never makes it there. We keep snacking on the slices even while they are still almost too hot to hold.
Rosa Bianca eggplant from the garden
cool, eggplant shower
Cut, drizzle with oil and grill
Grilled Eggplant Recipe
- 1 pound Eggplant
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt , as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil , as needed
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper , to taste
How to grill eggplant:
- Cut the eggplant either into lengthwise halves, or into 1/3-1/2" slices, depending on what you intend to use the eggplant for.
- (Next two steps are unnecessary if using more less bitter varieties of eggplant, such as Bianca Rosa, Japanese Eggplant, or Chinese Eggplant).If you are using an Italian Eggplant or similar variety, sprinkle the slices with salt, and all to sit for 45 min - 1 hr.
- Rinse off eggplant, and pat dry.
Light grill and set up for direct heat cooking, about medium heat.
- Lightly coat both sides of the eggplant with olive oil. Season with a touch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- (For Halves) - Place on grill, cut side down. Cook until the body of the eggplant gives easily when gently pressed.
- (For Slices) - Place on grill and cook until it is slightly charred. Flip and repeat. The interior texture should be soft and fairly translucent with a slightly charred outside. Tasty.