Chocolate Bourbon or Rum Balls- Three Ways
These chocolate rum balls recipe can be made with bourbon as well, so treat yourself to all the delicious flavors of the holidays.
Diane was initially going to write this post, but after 1 bourbon ball she quietly passed out on the couch. Although I think she may be faking to get out of writing a post. I’ve always loved good chocolate rum balls. Actually, the love for chocolate bum balls extends to just about any dessert with a hit of alcohol. I’ll macerate just about any dried fruit going into a dessert just to give it a little punch. If someone is serving trifle, tiramisu… “Seconds Please.”
Video: Chocolate rum balls or Chocolate bourbon balls Recipe:
So often these little chocolate rum ball delights have rum to booze them up, and for good reason. Smooth, a touch of sweetness. I’d have to say rum is my second favorite distilled spirit, bourbon being my main mistress.
So the other day after seeing a Pinterest share of a pumpkin bourbon ball, I was highly intrigued. Taking a favorite winter treat and swapping out my second favorite spirit with a little Gentleman Jack sounded pretty good to me. I even had a bit of pumpkin puree still in the fridge from the last sugar pumpkin.
It took a whole 10 minutes to throw together and was beautiful. Since the pumpkin puree was dwindling towards the end of its existence, we decided to take the bourbon twist back to a classic rum ball. Nix the pumpkin puree, add some cocoa powder and corn syrup to bind it. And after seeing all the dark chocolate love, we added a bit more cocoa powder. Roll ’em in the pecan/cookie crumbs, confectioners’ sugar, or more cocoa powder and they were perfect.
The holidays just got a little happier.
This original chocolate rum balls 2012 recipe post is being re-shared in 2018 with a new video for you to see the step-by-step process!
How to Make Chocolate Bourbon Balls or Rum Balls
Chocolate Bourbon Balls
- 1 cup (140g) finely ground Vanilla Wafers (about 40 regular Nilla wafers) or Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 cup (110g) finely chopped Nuts , we prefer pecans
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger (or freshly grated Ginger)
- fresh grated Nutmeg , to taste
- 1/4 cup (22g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Bourbon or Rum
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) Agave Nectar or light Corn Syrup
- ground Vanilla Wafers (Nilla Wafers)
- finely chopped Pecans
- Pecans and ground wafers together
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- crushed Candy Canes
In a bowl, whisk together ground vanilla wafers, pecans, confectioners' sugar, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, grated nutmeg, and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Stir in bourbon and corn syrup. Form into even balls and coat in topping of choice.
- Chill for an hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.