Berry Buttermilk Breakfast/Brunch Cake with Crumb Topping
Weekend breakfasts are always a favorite occasion because we can take our time to enjoy the morning. It’s also the time of the week that’s most leisurely for us with plenty of time to bake in the morning. Settling down with our cappuccino or espresso and some poached eggs is a fantastic breakfast. Sometimes we still crave something sweet with our coffee, but not too sweet. So we created this morning a blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake that fulfills our morning needs. After making this blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake several times, it’s hard to not think of it as the perfect brunch cake, especially for family gatherings. With Holiday brunch, family gatherings and celebration gatherings, berries are always a favorite. Now it is the perfect time to make this cake that is sweetened by the explosion of berry flavors and without all the sugar.
Watch the video making the Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake:
citrus and swiss chard galore
Everything in the garden has been going bonkers now and we’re enjoying every minute of it. We have tons and tons of lemons and other citrus. It’s crazy to think how two people and two dogs can consume all this fruit. Maybe it’s time to start our lemonade stand we used to dream of building as kids. Hey, and maybe sell some of this awesome berry buttermilk breakfast cake? Maybe we’ll do that when we grow up one day!
Diane and Todd
super moist and tender
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
Buttermilk-Berry Breakfast Cake w/ Crumb Topping
for the breakfast cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter , (1 stick) at room temperature
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (12 ounces) or combination of different berries
- ½ cup buttermilk *see note below recipe
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Whipped topping or whipped cream (optional)
- Extra berries for topping (optional)
for the crumb topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt , or to taste
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
Preheat the oven to 375º F (190°c). Grease 9x9 inch (23cmx23cm) square baking pan or line with parchment and grease for extra ease in removing from pan when baked.
- Make the crumb topping: Mix together the flour, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Pinch in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Set aside in the refrigerator to keep cold until ready to top cake.
Make the cake batter: In large bowl, cream butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
In separate bowl whisk dry ingredients for the breakfast cake (flour, baking powder and salt).
Add the buttermilk and the dry flour mixture to the butter/egg batter. Carefully stir the batter until combined, but don’t overmix (it will be a thick batter). Fold in the berries.
Spread batter into the prepared pan. Top the cake with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely. If desired, when ready to serve sprinkle with powdered sugar and dollop of whipped topping or more berries!