Jaune Flamme Tomatoes & Quinoa Salad
This jaune flamme tomato quinoa salad is simple and healthy. Our crop this year was quite good and it was fun growing a new variety.
Jaune Flamme Tomatoes Recipe
Summer is in full swing and there are two big announcements finally due out that we’re equally thrilled to share. To kick-start the good vibes, the garden-geeks in us are happy. It’s great to report that our heirloom tomatoes are doing fabulous this year. Of the 20 heirloom tomato plants we started, only 3 have died and that’s a bumper crop record for us.
fresh mint makes this salad extra fresh and bright
A popular and generally vigorously growing French heirloom tomato is the Jaune Flamme variety. The tomatoes of this variety are bright orange, apricot-shaped tomatoes. These indeterminate, french heirlooms might be small, but they’re packed with flavor in their thick, meaty flesh.
Heirloom Tomatoes with Quinoa
The best part about Jaune Flamme tomatoes is that they are wonderful when dried, because they still retain their bright orange color, along with their intense flavor.
These orange tomatoes are one of our earliest producers, yielding alot of fruit before the other varieties. This was a new variety for us and these orange Jaune Flamme’s have added wonderful flavor and color to our salads.
don’t forget the Rosé , a nice pairing for this Summer salad
Our plants struggled a bit in the beginning of the season, but after a few treatments of organic neem oil, the stems started to perk back a bit. It’s not the most vigorous tomato plant in our plots, but it definitely is a keeper for next year because it’s early season fruiting, great citrus-like flavor and gorgeous color make every dish wonderful.
Whole grain salads pair well with these colorful and flavorful tomatoes, especially when a touch of fresh mint ribbons the dish. This tomato and quinoa salad should be on every summer feasting table. The mouthful of playful, mini-pop texture of the quinoa, with fresh tomatoes, mint and light vinaigrette is a celebration of Summer in a bowl.
More of our Heirloom Tomato Recipes Here
Quinoa, Tomato and Mint Salad Recipe
- 1 cup raw Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 lb. (225g) Tomatoes , diced
- Handful fresh mint , chopped
- a few small mint leaves reserved for garnish
- Prepare Quinoa: Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover pan with a lid, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat, fluff, and set aside to cool.
- Prepare Dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork to combine. (For best lemon flavor, grate lemon zest directly over bowl so the lemon oil which releases when zesting will land in bowl.) Taste the dressing and add more salt to personal taste.
- Make Salad. When quinoa is cool, combine quinoa, tomatoes, mint, and dressing in a bowl and toss well. Place on serving dish and garnish with remaining small mint leaves.