Remember my last rustic berry red velvet cake recipe? Well, that was just the beginning to return to my love of baking desserts and cakes. I promised I was on a mission to work on some of my favorite cake recipe
s but along with that has other duties too. One of them is to find wonderful frosting and icing recipes that I can whip up quickly, but yet have lots of flavor. And if fresh fruit is involved, I’m all over it like a baking beast.
This installment of my baking adventures was ignited when I saw Zoe’s blueberry cake recipe. If you haven’t seen it, you MUST. It’s a gorgeous blueberry beast and when I say beast, I mean it’s ferociously amazing.
Not only was I blown away by Zoe’s cake, but I was even more enamored when it involved a ton of fresh blueberries that give that perfect color and flavor.
Well, I was instantly inspired and whipped up a version of my cream cheese frosting recipe from my red velvet cake with Zoe’s blueberry sauce. So Todd and I were in the kitchen in an instant, whipping up her blueberry sauce to add to our cream cheese base. We love the simplicity and flavor of cream cheese frosting and Zoe’s blueberry sauce was the perfect inspiration to mix it up a bit for all my future cakes and cupcakes.
How can I tell you how much I love this fresh blueberry cream cheese frosting? There’s just no way to really express the fresh flavor and texture of this. There’s no food coloring, nor any fake flavoring. Everything you see and taste are fresh blueberries and cream cheese.
You’ll just have to make it yourself and please, promise me you will make it soon. July 4th is right around the corner, so it’s the perfect time to whip up a batch of your fav cake or cupcakes.
The flavor of the fresh blueberries really explode and if you’re gentle enough when stirring, you’ll get some nice pops of semi-whole, slightly smashed blueberries in every bite. Or if you’re a little heavy handed and break up all the blueberries, that’s ok too. What you’ll get is a fantastic color of blueberry.
Fresh Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 4 cups
Total Time: 30 Minutes
This recipe is inspired from the blueberry sauce on Zoe's blueberry cake. Her icing did not have cream cheese, but it does look amazing. The cream cheese frosting is from our Rustic Berry Red Velvet Cake.
- 2 cups (300g) fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons (45g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- finely grated zest from 1/2 a medium lemon
- Two 8oz (225g) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups (270g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher or sea salt
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest in a saucepan. Cook the sauce over medium heat until the sauce thickens and the cornstarch becomes translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature (to expedite the cooling you can use an ice bath to cool it quicker- or you can make the sauce a day ahead of time if your timing allows).
- In large bowl, add cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Cream together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add half of the blueberry sauce and gently fold into the cream cheese frosting. Add the remaining half of the sauce and stir in until the frosting becomes a blue/purple color, or until you like the texture of the frosting. The more you mix the frosting, the less chunks of blueberry you will have in the frosting.
- Spread frosting on your favorite cake or cupcakes. Enjoy!