Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast with Sausage Stuffing
Easy Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast
Stuffed roast turkey breast is the perfect dish for a weeknight dinner, Thanksgiving or anytime of year. The turkey roll is so juicy and satisfying, you’ll want to make this more often for family supper. Filling the turkey breast with a classic sausage stuffing screams out as a super easy Thanksgiving meal. If you’re cooking for two, this stuffed turkey breast roll fulfills and satisfies a simple Thanksgiving dinner. It’s not fussy or complicated, but it is delicious. Prep the stuffing and stuff the turkey a day ahead and dinner is served the next day when you roast the turkey breast.
Video: Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast Recipe with Sausage Stuffing
Better Than a Whole Turkey
The best part about cooking a stuffed turkey breast roll is when you’re cooking for 2-3 people. It’s also great when you want to serve smaller portions. Most of the time during the Holiday meals, everyone gravitates towards the whole turkey. But if you’re short on time or really only needing to cook for 2-3, then this turkey roll is absolutely perfect. With the classic sausage stuffing filling, it’s a meal-all-in-one. And of course, don’t forget the gravy because it’s always better with more gravy!
Roasted Stuffed Turkey Breast with Bread Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil or butter
- 2 stalks (2 stalks) celery , diced
- 1/2 medium (1/2 medium) onion , diced
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) garlic , minced or crushed
- 8 ounces (227 g) Italian sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) fresh chopped thyme, oregano or rosemary (or 1 teaspoon ground & dried herbs)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh sage , or 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh chopped parsley
- 1.5 cups (360 ml) chicken broth , or turkey broth
- 8 cups (1.9 l) croutons or dried stuffing cubes cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large (1 large) egg , beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper , or to taste
- 3 pound (1.36 kg) turkey breast , de-boned and skin-on
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Make Stuffing: Heat pan over medium heat, and then add the olive oil, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook until onions and garlic are softened, about 1 minute. Add the sausage, breaking up the sausage with your spatula and cook until sausage is browned.
- Add herbs (thyme, oregano, or rosemary), sage, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for another minute until the spices are combined. Add the broth and then remove from heat.
- Mix in the croutons or stuffing cubes and egg into the sausage mixture until everything is combined well. Set aside.
- Roll & Bake Turkey: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place plastic wrap on top of each turkey breast and pound thinner into an even thickness, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the pounded turkey breast skin side down. Lay the stuffing on top of turkey breast. Fold one edge of turkey breast over to create a roll. Tie the turkey breast to hold the shape.
- Season top of turkey breast roll with additional salt and pepper. Place the turkey breast roll in a baking dish (make sure the baking dish is large enough to fit the remaining stuffing - you won't add it yet, but will after the turkey breast roll bakes for a bit).
- Roast the turkey breast roll for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and place the remaining stuffing around the turkey. Return to the oven and continue roasting for another 30 minutes, or until internal temperature of turkey reaches 165°F at turkey meat thickest part. Allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve.
You’ll love our Low Carb Stuffed Turkey Breast with Bacon, Mushroom, Kale/Spinach for Thanksgiving and Here’s all our Turkey Recipes Here.