Amongst all the overflowing bins of Fall fruits and veggies, sweet potatoes hold a special place in our hearts. The variety and diversity of colors and flavors keep our Autumn menu continually interesting and keep us inspired. Loved beyond the holidays down here, the sweet potatoes were gorgeous copper prizes begging to be cooked.
For Fall and Thanksgiving dessert recipes, the classic pumpkin pie always makes a showing. But if we’re always looking for something different, that’s why we came up with the recipe a few years ago. This recipe was such a popular hit back in 2010, that we also included in our Bountiful cookbook.
The craving for sweet potato still fill our lungs and led to the inspiration for this recipe. Starting with one of my favorite bar crusts (a graham cracker crust with fresh ginger), they were next layered with a dark chocolate softened with bit of milk, then finished off with beautiful, sweet potato pie filling. Top ’em with a dollop or two of whipped cream if you really want to go crazy!
These are the perfect sweet bite to satisfy everyone after the big savory turkey and ham feast. Enjoy and hope you all are having a blast planning this weeks Thanksgiving menu.
Sweet Potato Bars w/ Chocolate Recipe
Yield: 12 bars
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup (110g) graham cracker crumbs (from about 9 whole graham crackers)
- 1/2 cup (50g) finely ground pecans or other nuts
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/4 cup (55g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 5 tablespoons (70g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Layer Ingredients
- 1/3 cup (80ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 pound (115g) dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
Sweet Potato Filling Ingredients
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (see note below recipe)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (55g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
Optional Topping Ingredients
- whipped cream
- pecan halves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Make the crust: In a bowl, combine the crust ingredients and mix thoroughly (graham cracker crumbs, ground nuts, ginger, brown sugar, salt, butter, and vanilla extract). Press the mixture into a 9-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Make the chocolate filling: In a saucepan, combine the cream and chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate is melted and completely combined with the cream. Pour the mixture over the crust; tilt and gently shake the pan to spread the mixture evenly. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the sweet potato filling.
- Make the sweet potato filling: In a bowl, combine the sweet potato filling ingredients and mix well (sweet potato puree, egg, salt, cinnamon clove, brown sugar, milk, and heavy cream). Gently pour the sweet potato filling over the chocolate layer.
- Place the baking dish on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the outer inch appears set; the center should still slightly wiggle when shaken. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate until fully chilled.
- Slice with a clean knife into even squares, wiping the knife clean before each cut. Serve with optional whipped cream and/or chopped nuts.
To make sweet potato puree, you can either bake skin on sweet potatoes for about 1.5 hrs (until soft) @ 375°F, then peel & press through fine mesh sieve, or you can peel, cut, and boil for @ 20-30 min or until soft then press through fine mesh sieve. Baking is slightly more flavorful, boiling is much quicker.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission and do not re-publish this recipe. Simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Recipe Note for Salt: All recipes containing salt are based on kosher or sea salt amounts, not table salt. If using table salt, reduce the amount used to taste.