I think by now we’ve established that we like brussels sprouts. Between the balsamic roasted brussels sprouts recipe and the baked brussels sprouts with parmesan we have converted more than a few doubters to joys of this little cabbage-esque vegetable. It is one of our favorite rough-ages and over the years we’ve come up with recipes that allow these little bundles of goodness to shine and be enjoyed by many. Recently we’ve been preparing it in a way which makes everything better. Braised with bacon.
This is a super simple recipe for braising brussels sprouts. Saute up a bit of bacon then add some chopped shallots for sweetness. After they have cooked and sweetened up a but, add in the green balls of joy, a bit of broth (we usually use chicken broth but feel free to use whatever kind you like or have on hand) and some soy sauce for seasoning and umami. Cover and braise until tender. Easy and delicious.
The savory and slightly salty bite of the bacon combined with the tender sweet brussels sprouts is divine. Particularly with the added sweetness of the shallots and the “tying-in” element of the soy sauce. The ingredients and technique are so simple it is hard not to love it. Especially because of the bacon, since we all know that bacon makes everything better. Now if our garden brussels sprouts would just start producing some for us to eat so we wouldn’t have to go out and buy them.
above: render bacon fat then add shallots
Add soy sauce and broth, then braise brussels sprouts in liquid
Update: Click here for complete list of delicious Brussels Sprouts Recipes.
Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Recipe
Yield: 4 as a side dish
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, washed, cut in half (or quarters as long as they are about same size)
- 3 slices bacon (about 100g), cut into small pieces
- 2 T minced Shallots (about 2 medium shallots)
- 1 T Soy Sauce
- 1/4 c broth
- Heat pan on medium heat then add bacon. Fry up till bacon has rendered a good amount of the fat, about 5-10 minutes. Add shallots. Stir shallots well into the bacon, fry shallots till they become fragrant and soft, but not burnt.
- Add brussels sprouts to the pan then add soy sauce and broth. Stir evenly.
- Cover, and turn heat to low and allow brussels spouts to slowly braise in the liquid for about 15-20 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts are tender.