You know how you are searching for one thing and end up on a tangent, totally forgetting about your original search, but you did find something awesome. That is how these cookies came about.
In another moment of distraction, or was is work avoidance, we stumbled upon Giada’s Lemon Ricotta cookies. The recipe looked tasty and the raves were stunning, so we just had to make them.
Wandering about in the garden to pick some lemons for the recipe, I passed by one of our blood orange trees. The two trees we have have “gone gorilla” with the fruit this year and we just can’t make enough Blood Orange Margaritas or Sidecars to keep up. Out of all our citrus, the blood orange was one of the first to have its fruit ready this year, and by now many of those early ripeners are begging to be picked. Actually they’ve gone past begging, now some are starting to droop without enthusiasm, given up hope that they will be picked next.
So I bypassed the lemons and picked a basketfull of the blood oranges. Some were squeezed and added with a touch of simple syrup and soda water for a refreshing beverage. Have to make sure we get enough citrus to ward off scurvy. And others were zested then squeezed and made into these cookies.
Um… uber delicious. The ricotta cookies are a fluffy, cake like cookie. A bit unassuming when bitten into before the glaze, but after the glaze, tasty! Like eating glazed cupcake tops.
Hope you love it.
Blood Orange Ricotta Cookies with Blood Orange Glaze
Yield: @ 36 Cookies
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Recipe adapted from Giada's Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze. These are a fluffly, cake like cookie. On their own, the cookies will taste a bit unassuming, however when the glaze is added, they become highly addicting.
- 2 1/2 cups (310g) Flour
- 1 teaspoon (5g) Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 cups (200g) Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) container (425g) whole milk Ricotta Cheese
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) fresh Blood Orange Juice
- zest from 1 Blood Orange
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups (360-420g) Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh Blood Orange Juice
- zest from 2 Blood Oranges
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a couple sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixers, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Beat in the ricotta, blood orange juice and blood orange zest. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat for another minute to make sure everything is incorporated. Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the lined sheet pans (the cookies will not spread very much). Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, make the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, blood orange juice and blood orange zest in a bowl and stir until smooth. Adjust the amount of confectioners sugar to make the glaze to your desired thickness (more confectioners sugar = thicker glaze). Spoon glaze onto each cookie. Let the glaze harden for about 2 hours.