Ode to Grilled Bread
(violins & cellos in the air… Masterpiece theatre sets the stage…)
Crusty, charred Lines of Black
Gentle crumb singed Golden. Soft.
Day old. Resuscitated.
Screetch!!!Stop! We’re not really going to torture you with our bad food poetry. We’ll let our poetic verse lay in what you see before you, and leave the real deal to those skilled in pen and word. But we have to admit that it is hard not to be inspired when grilled bread is your muse.
It is such heavenly, yet simple and rustic fare. Taking a beautiful crusty loaf of bread, say a ciabatta or any other spongy-crusty loaf, slicing it thick, then brushed and grilled to consummate perfection.
There is the alluring play in textures between the charred, crunchy crust, the slightly crisped, golden crumb surface, and the soft, chewing interior crumb. And that is just the bread.
Don’t forget about the infinite topping possibilities… Herbed butters, simple sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, grated parmesan, roasted peppers, halved sun gold tomatoes with balsamic, tuna and capers… what ever your appetite desires.
One can even dessert-ify the grilled bread by spreading chocolate, or bananas and caramel or any other creative personal pleasure. Simply put, we love grilled bread. The glory of grilled bread is that versatile.
Or, you can eat it alone, warm off the grill, and dirty yourself with fragrant charred crumbs. Now that alone is an ode to good eating.
What’s your favorite way to have grilled bread?
-Todd and Diane
Grilled Bread Recipe
- 1 Loaf Crusty Bread
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves , gently smashed - optional
- Olive Oil or Butter
- Sea Salt
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- Slice the bread into 3/4" slices. Rub slices of bread with garlic cloves. Gently oil or butter each side of the slices.
- Heat grill or pan over med-high heat. When hot, oil grates with a paper towel dipped in a bit of cooking oil, then grill each side until gently golden (@2-3 min on each side depending on heat level.)
- Season with sea salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or top with preferred topping and serve.