Valentine Cocktail & Our 13 year Anniversary
This post was one of our first recipe posts back in 2009. It’s fun to see how our photography and garden has changed over the years!
Between the Sheets Cocktail Recipe
Gentlemen, Flash Alert! Valentine’s Day is tomorrow! (In some parts of the world, it is already here!) Are you ready to woo your sexy other? If you’ve been a good man and have shown how much you love and appreciate your beau all year, then this little Love Holiday should be old hat for you. However, if you need to make up for some past transgressions or have someone new who you are trying to impress, you may benefit from some advice.
Here’s some of the things I’ve learned in the 13 years (Feb. 15th is our official anniversary!) where I’ve managed to convince my beautiful Diane that I am someone worth hanging on to:
- Personal and passionate trump purely purchased any day. Don’t go out and buy and generic bouquet of flowers or some jewelry at the place with the cheesy, annoying commercial and think you are good. Plan a fun evening, hand make a card (make it personal reminding them of how great it is to be spending time together, pictures of you together, or as simple as a heart made of glitter and glue), and make their favorite dessert for them. Fill the day with meaningful personal moments.
- Notice the details and compliment them. Realistically and genuinely and particularly those non-physical.
- A good home-cooked romantic dinner beats any restaurant.
- Share. Give your date some of your dinner, and let them give you some of theirs. Two spoons, one dessert. A passionate couple is one entity, not two individuals.
- The day or morning before, clean the house. Trust me and just do it.
- Be generous and compassionate to everyone. Take them out to a nice dinner, then leave a crappy tip, and you are letting them know you are a cheap-ass only looking to get them in bed. Open the door for your date then let it swing shut on a little old lady, pure asshole.
- Have fun. Do what you love doing together and enjoy every minute of it. Sounds simple, but oftentimes we get so wrapped up in making everything perfect, we forget to actually enjoy it.
13 years later we’ve affected each other psychologically: more madness…
There’s a little jump start, the rest is up to you, gents. If anyone has more advice as to what makes an unforgettable Valentine’s Day, please share (particularly you ladies, you know us men don’t understand you very well.) As an added bonus, here’s a sexy, classic cocktail recipe you can use to start the evening off with, or to invite you date in for a nightcap. Or pull an Esquire tip and put the recipe out on a business card, then hand it to the bartender when out on the town. – Todd
Oh, by the way….we’ll be on KCRW’s (89.9 FM) Good Food show with Evan Kleinman on Saturday, Valentines Day between 11:30am – 12pm. If you can’t get it, they archive all their podcast’s so you can catch it later…alligator! Hope you enjoy this between the sheets cocktail recipe!
Between the Sheets Cocktail
- 1 ounce (30ml) Cognac
- 1 ounce (30ml) Light Rum
- 1 ounce (30ml) fresh Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) Grand Marnier
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) Simple Syrup, or to taste
- dash Orange Bitters
- optional , sugar for the glass rim
- If desired, rub the rim of a chilled cocktail glass with the lime wedge & sugar the rim.
- Put all ingredients (cognac, rum, lemon or lime juice, Grand Marnier, simple syrup, and orange bitters) into a cocktail shaker with ice, then shake it with passion for 15-20 seconds. Strain into your cocktail glass. Garnish if desired.