Vegetables: These are some basic staples we grow every year. We are pretty much out of garden space right now, but if we had more, there are so many other vegetables we’d like to try to grow. We’re thinking about possibly rotating the vegetables and growing one every other year. But we can’t decide which one to delete from our annual list.
1. Tomatoes, tomatoes and many more tomatoes : Brandywine, Yellow Pear, Sun Golds, Mr. Stripey
- Sun gold tomatoes with tarragon, shallots and brown butter
- Heirloom tomato and shiso salad
2. Bell peppers, many varieties : Red, Yellow, Orange, Ivory and Chocolate peppers too!
3. Japanese Long Eggplant (top) and Bianca Rosa eggplant(bottom)
- Grilled Bianca Rosa Heirloom eggplant
- No recipe here, but we grilled home grown japanese eggplants for the TV show
4. Many varieties of carrots : Danvers Half Long, Imperator , purple haze
7. Many varieties of chili peppers. Everything from “oh, thats nothing” to “holy moly! my mouth is burning!”
- Vietnamese stuffed squid with spicy chili dip
- Green mangoes with chili salt
- Mom’s fish sauce dip with her beloved chili’s
- Mystery Devil Pepper
8. Lots of lettuce: Red leaf, green leaf, red oak, red romaine, green romaine
- Pineapple salad in two ways: salad with pork and springrolls
- Vietnamese stuffed squid with lots of garden lettuce
9. Cucumbers: lemon cucumbers
10. Strawberries! -Sequoia & Chandler varieties
11. Carmen Radhiccio
15. Swiss Chard
17. Fennel Bulb
Braised Fennel & crispy prosciutto
Our Garden Inventory: Here is a tally of what we have grown thus far, what has died, marginally survived and what is currently flourishing in our continually evolving garden.