1. (Optional Marinade) In bowl mix sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, granulated sugar, ginger, and garlic until sugar is completely dissolved. Marinade shrimp (chicken or zucchini) for about 20 minutes.
2. Place beaten eggs, flour, and panko each into separate bowls.
3. Heat about 3/4″ of oil in pan to about 350ºF for frying. Fry shrimp, chicken or zucchini until cooked and golden brown on each side. These ingredients cook very quickly (especially the shrimp), so be ready to flip them, then pull them out of the oil after a minute of so of frying on each side.
4. Place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Skewer and assemble!
5. Dip with Ginger/Soy Caramel Dip.
1. Place the sugar and 1 t (5ml) of lime juice in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a sturdy wooden spoon, until the sugar has liquefied (be diligent in your stirring, or else the sugar will heat unevenly, leaving clumps that are a pain to dissolve without burning the caramel). Continue to cook until the caramel has reached a golden brown color (the caramel may still appear opaque, that’s ok). Be very careful. You have napalm in a pan right now.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully pour in water. Stand back a bit as you pour, because the caramel is going to bubble, hiss, & splatter a bit.
3. Return the caramel back to the heat and stir to dissolve any remaining lumps.
4. Let the sauce cool a bit, then add the soy sauce, remaining 1 t (5ml) of lime juice, grated ginger, chili garlic sauce, and grated lime zest. Carefully taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. After sauce has cooled completely, thin with additional water if necessary. You have to wait until it has cooled completely because the thickness will vary depending on how much you caramelized the sugar.