- White on Rice Couple - http://whiteonricecouple.com -
Vegetarian Chili with Fresh Roasted Chilies- Memories from a Veg Head
Posted By Todd & Diane On February 7, 2012 @ 9:55 pm In Appetizers,Family Recipes,Food,Gluten Free,Inspiration & Life Stories,Recipes,Vegetables,Vegetarian Recipes | 21 Comments
Beware! not all chilies are alike. Normally I use anaheim chiles, but their spice level varies. Proceed with caution and add the roasted chiles to your personal taste and spice level. Also, when handling chiles, try to use gloves.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash chili pepper, pat dry all outside moisture. Rub with bit of olive oil to coat the chili pepper. Put on sheet pan and roast in oven for about 15 minutes, turning frequently for even roast. Roast chili pepper till the skin starts to bubble and char. Then remove pepper from oven and place in plastic bag for about 15 minutes. The steam will release the skin from the meat of the pepper. Remove skin and seeds, discard. Dice the chili pepper, set aside.
2. In heated medium saucepan, add olive oil till hot. Then add onions and garlic and cook till they are soft and fragrant. Then add carrots. Cook carrots for about 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
3. Add celery, red bell peppers and green chili. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
4. Add beans, vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, soy sauce, cumin and chili powder. Stir pot well and let simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
5. For best flavor, the chili tastes better the next day, once the beans absorbs all the spices.
Article printed from White on Rice Couple: http://whiteonricecouple.com
URL to article: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/vegetarian-chili/