There are few things which declare California summers like grilled shrimp and tequilla. Usually in separate moments, or side by side… Margarita anyone?! However in an instant of lazy brilliance, we combined the twoto form an intoxicating bit of deliciousness.
Seared prawns or shrimp enveloped in a marinade of soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, and tequila, then licked by the flames of the grill, transforming them into summer afternoon perfection.
The soy sauce gives it the touch of seasoning and umami. The brilliance of the lime, the savory of the garlic, and the nice rounded smokiness of the tequila all balance together with the sweet, firm texture of the grilled shrimp. It was one ofthose things we stumbled upon by accident and has now become one of our favorite ways to cook shrimp. A simple night of asian bbq and margaritas married together.
When Good Bite requested an “Everyday Meal with a Twist”, this citrus tequila shrimp skewers recipe immediately came to mind. Here’s the Good Bite video featuring the Citrus Tequila Shrimp. Hope you get a chance to try it, but don’t forget to save some tequila for the margaritas!
Citrus Tequila Shrimp
Yield: 2 Servings
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- 1 medium clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 t Sugar
- 2 T Vegetable Oil
- 2 T Tequila
- 1 t Soy Sauce
- 2 t fresh Lime Juice and extra for serving
- about 10 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes
- To make the marinade: In bowl, mix garlic, sugar, oil, tequila, soy sauce and fresh lime juice.
- Add shrimp to bowl of mixture. Allow shrimp to marinade in sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Heat up your grill for direct heat grilling.
- Skewer about 2-3 shrimp on each bamboo skewer.
- Grill shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side, or until shrimp is cooked (depends on size of shrimp)
- Squeeze little bit of fresh lime juice over shrimp skewers right before serving.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you. And remember in making the recipes, if using table salt instead of kosher or sea salt, make sure you reduce the salt amount.