Tamarind Shrimp and “Secrets of the Red Lantern” cookbook Winner
This gorgeous cookbook has a new owner and it’s Pam!! Congratulations Pam and we hope you enjoy this beautiful cookbook.
Thank you to you all for your amazing input and thoughts on what you love in a cookbook. We appreciate all your fabulous comments on this cookbook giveaway!
This was the most amazing forum of wonderful ideas that we’ve ever had. Reading all of your wonderful, insightful comments was inspiring and informative. We’ve never been so thrilled as were were with your participation in this giveaway. As always, it’s always so tough to turn to the Random Number Generator to choose just one winner. You all deserve this book. If we could, we would ship one to every single one of you!
Here’s a video about the authors of Secrets of the Red Lantern. You can see and hear what this talented trio has to say about their love of food. Please watch the video, you’ll love them!
To celebrate this wonderful gathering of ideas and participation, we made this simple and addicting tamarind shrimp dish. All we did was used the leftover tamarind sauce from the tamarind crab dish. This versatile tamarind sauce/marinade/dressing can be used on so many different types of meats, seafoods and vegetables. Again, the tamarind sauce is from the this trio of talented Aussies chefs. The tamarind shrimp and the tamarind crab recipes are just two small examples of the rich culinary inspiration that you’ll find in Secrets of The Red Lantern. If you want to delve further in to Vietnamese cuisine, go pick up a book today.
Read about Secrets of the Red Lantern Cookbook Giveaway &Tamarind Crab Recipe
Tamarind Shrimp Recipe
Yield: 2-4 Servings
Total Time: 15 minutes
For the tamarind /plum sauce:
- 4 1/2 ounces tamarind paste, without the seeds
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup plum sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Shrimp
- about 2 lbs shrimp, shelled & deveined or with shell on.. We prefer the shell on, so the photograph shows un-peeled shrimp.
- 6 scallions ( green onions)
- 5 red chili peppers
- about 3 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 cup tamarind and plum sauce
- 1 large handful cilantro leaves
- In saucepan, water, tamarind paste, plum sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil and combine well.
- Set aside.
For the Shrimp:.
- Cut the scallions into 1″ lengths and finely slice the chilies.
- In large wok or large deep sauce pan, add oil. Let oil heat for a few seconds, then add shrimp. Cook shrimp for about 3 minutes then add chili’s and half of the scallions and toss well to combine ingredients. Add the tamarind and plum sauce.
- Continue cooking shrimp for about another 5 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked (depending on how big the shrimp are). Plate shrimp and garnish with remaining chopped scallions, chili and/or cilantro leaves.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you. And remember in making the recipes, if using table salt instead of kosher or sea salt, make sure you reduce the salt amount.