Oh such fudgy, chocolatey sweetness rifled with little peanut butter bombs. I love these cookies, and yet for some reason never make them. I don’t know why. They may be a touch more work than the chocolate chunk cookies or my new favorite, the snickerdoodle, but not excessively so. They are certainly every bit as delightful and eye-rollingly good.
I guess I had merely forgotten about my old love, and had moved on to other sweets. However now that I’ve once again had a taste of this pure deliciousness, the puppy-dog crush has been re-lit as a pure passionate love.
This recipe is once again inspired and adapted from my baking bible, The Professional Pastry Chef. What can I say, Bo frickin’ rocks.
These cookies are soft, nearly pure chocolate. They can be a bit tricky to judge when they are done baking because there is no change in color. It may take a couple batches to get the timing perfect in your oven, but the experimentation is worth it. The texture you will be aiming for is soft with a touch of firmness on the edges. Oh the torture of testing batch after batch of chocolate goodness. Try to hold firm.
Chocolate Cookies w/ Peanut Butter Chips Recipe
Yield: 80 small cookies
Total Time: 2 hours
- 6 oz (170g) unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 lb (455g) dark Chocolate-the better the chocolate, the better the cookie
- 1/3 c (85g) unsalted Butter
- 1/3 c (80ml) Strong Coffee or 2 oz (60ml) Espresso
- 5 Eggs
- 2 c (400g) granulated Sugar
- 1 t (5ml) Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 c (85g) All-purpose Flour
- 2 t (8g) Baking Powder
- 1 t (5g) Sea Salt
- 10 oz package, @ 1 3/4c (285g) Peanut Butter Chips, more if you like
- Put the unsweetened chocolate, dark chocolate -cut in pieces- and butter in a large bowl then melt together over simmering water. Set aside.
- Reduce coffee or espresso down to 2 T (30ml) and set aside.
- Whip the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the coffee reduction (it shouldn't be too hot by now) and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Combine the egg mixture and the melted chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and sea salt, then stir into chocolate mixture until just combined. Cover and chill in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter chips. Divide dough into 4 logs, about 16" each. (If you are unsure how to make the logs, we gave a tutorial on the chocolate chunk recipe.) Refrigerate until firm or store in freezer for future use.
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Quick and easy: Using a serrated knife, slice each log into 20 pieces, placing each cookie on a sheet pan lined with baking paper.
- Pretty Cookies with Whole Peanut Butter Chips: Hand break each log into 20 pieces, form each cookie into a rough ball, then place on a sheet pan lined with baking paper.
- Double pan the sheet pans, then bake on the center rack for about 10 minutes. The center will be soft to touch and the edges just starting to feel firm.
Forming cookies (2 options) -thaw frozen dough at room temp. for 1 hour: