As everyone can see, eating healthier is NOT on our 2008 resolution agenda. How can we with so many left overs? We’re going green in 2008, so that means we must recycle uneaten foods. Now that we finally have rain and some chill factor, adding an extra layer of fat to further insulate us from this So Cal freeze (4o degrees, brrrr!!!) is a good idea. Baking will not only warm up our cold, damp house with oven warmth and the smells of baked goods, but it will also use up the tons of left over bananas and chocolate we have screaming out at us every day. It’s good to clear out our freezer with some old 2007 creamed delights too, so we’ll just top off this calorie packed, chocolate-chunk laden, carbo induced beauty with a small scoop of vanilla bean dream. This special banana bread recipe is the most moist one that we’ve been able to create so far. We’re planning on eating salad in the next day or two to use our left over greens, so there is a glimmer of healthy hope in our future.
Banana Bread Recipe with Chocolate Chunks
Yield: 2 Loaves
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Bananas and chocolate, such a delectable combination. Make sure your bananas are nice and ripe. This recipe is written for 6 regular bananas, but if you can get your hands on the super plump, half-length beauties, the recipe will be all the better. This is one of my grandma's 4-x recipes (that means highly tasty.) It stays moist forever, or at least as long as a loaf has lasted in our house.
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 1 c (1/2 lb) softened unsalted butter
- 6 ripe bananas (@ 3 cups when mashed)
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 lb Dark chocolate, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 t sea salt
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 2 t baking soda
Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add bananas and mash with potato masher until no more massive chunks remain. Add eggs, and beat until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chunks and sea salt.
- Sift together flour and baking soda three times. Fold into banana mixture until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour into 2 lightly-greased loaf pans. Bake for 45 min-1 hr until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (chocolate on the toothpick doesn't count) The house should be filled with the scent of fresh banana bread.
- Cool on rack for 10 min. before removing from pans. Loosen the edges, then pop loose the bottom. Enjoy as breakfast with a cappuccino, lunch straight up, and dinner warmed up with some vanilla bean ice cream and a bit of dark rum or Kahlua drizzled on the top.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
More dessert dishes that you might enjoy:
- Grilled white peaches w/honey balsamic glaze and homemade creme fraiche
- Plum and muscat gelato
- Tangerine and carrot cupcakes with tangerine cream cheese frosting
- Thomas Kellers red beet ice cream
- Candied walnuts with walnut syrup
- Silky chocolate whiskey tangerine pie