Our Southern Californian climate doesn’t provide us with fall explosions of color, white Christmases, or the magical moments of crocus poking their way through the last of winter’s snow, however we do have our own special experiences of nature. One of the most delicious delights of our winters is the ripening of the citrus. Our tangerines started becoming ripe nearly a month ago, but the longer we leave them still attached to their momma, the sweeter they’ll become.
The next in line for harvest, and that which will provide tonight’s cocktail, is the blood orange. Of all our citrus, the blood orange tree is by far the most flora when fruiting. As the sun warms the fruit and the tree, the sweet aroma fills the surrounding air. It almost makes you want to be reincarnated as a hummingbird so your life can always be filled with such a sweet fragrance. Although personally, the hyperactivity of a hummer just isn’t in my nature.
Now that our blood oranges are ripe , we are reminded of a cocktail we created last year. It is a blood orange version of the classic Sidecar, which we have dubbed our Midnight Ride. To the best of our knowledge this blood orange ocktail name hasn’t been claimed, and it seemed appropriately sexy while still giving heritage to the Sidecar. Also, quite apropos, we created the cocktail around the midnight hour, as well as wrote this post well beyond midnight. We tend to be a little crazy like that, but at least we are crazy together.
Yield: 1 Cocktail
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Inspired by the Sidecar and our blood orange tree, this is a sexy little cocktail. The blood oranges give it that tangy sweetness which is so beautifully composed within those little bombs, as well as the gorgeous red color. We created this cocktail so you still get the blood orange flavor, yet balances nicely with the alcohol. Hope you can get some good blood oranges and are able to enjoy this sexy little tease.
Answering Our TWO Tags…after a couple of Midnight Ride Cocktails
We were told that we are interesting by Dhanggit’s Kitchen and With Love From Argentina, two very fabulous international food blogs that we hold in very high esteem. Hmmm, lucky they don’t know the rest of our story! So it’s was quite an honor to be TAGGED by both of them. Being tagged twice worked out perfectly because having both of us answer each question fulfills both tag requirements. To do them proud, we wanted to be able to answer their “Share 5 Facts About Yourself” with the most informative and interesting facts possible through some photographs.
But, BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE definitely alters the brains’ (and there’s two of ‘em here) capacity to function and think logically. We should have stopped at one super duper tasty Midnight Ride, but we had to finish off the blood oranges we picked off the tree, so there were a few waiting to drunk. DRUNK? Did someone way drunk? No waaay! (Whoa, I think we are starting to slur our text?!?) We might have wobbled about in the kitchen a bit, but we still managed to think strait enough to come up with our 5 facts and walked the line straight enough to gather our samples to photograph. Just don’t make us pass a breathalyser test.
To know us is takes time, because we often confuse people with our interests and daily habits. Some think they know us well, and then they come over for a night long feast and their whole perspective of us gets flip flopped. Maybe we scare the shit out of everyone with our massive amounts of food we feed them or maybe it’s our crazy dogs. What ever the case, they never look at us in the same way again.
So after a long day at work (yes, we worked this WHOLE holiday 3-day weekend!!) here are 5 facts we agreed to share after a fun midnight hour of good music and refreshing blood orange & liquor crafted beverages:
5 Facts about White On Rice Couple…She’s the white, He’s the rice.
1. During this freezing Southern California winter (brrrrr!), we rely heavily on our favorite house slippers:
He wears Japanese wooden slippers, She wears warm fleece booties.
2. Hobbies: Things we enjoy doing and want to become better at:
His Aikido martial arts, Her mountain dulcimer music.
3. Our vices that need to be controlled before we die of a heart attack:
His weakness for sugar, Her weakness for salt.
4. We always eat our scrambled eggs with our favorite eating utinsel:
He picks with chopsticks, She pokes with a fork.
5. We’re not married, been together for 12 years, refer to each other as one another’s “power of attorney” (because if something happens to one of us, the other one wants FULL RIGHTS to the body!), and still seem to really enjoy / piss off / annoy / support each other after all these years. In the end, it’s all about love, laughter, and the pursuit of good food, good wine, tolerant friends and tasty cocktails. To top off this cute-see, chee-sy fact, we even have matching “decade” bands. Awwwwww!!!!!!
Now it PAYBACK TIME!!! Since we’ve been tagged twice with the same questions and we each gave our set of answers to satisfy both tags, that means we get tag 5 from Dhanngit’s Kitchen and 5 from From Argentina With love. Thats 10 victims all in one shot! That’s a hard one because there’s so many interesting food blogging fools out there that we need investigate. So after much collaboration, here are the first 10:
Here are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. Share 5 facts about yourself
3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).
4. Let them know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at their Blogs.
1. Breakaway Cook – Eric’s fabulous style of cooking simply, but full of robust flavors is mouthwatering in his great cookbooks.
2. Cinnamonda- Far away in Finland, Tiina is cooking up a delicious storm.
3. Daily Bread Journal- Healer and acupuncturist Toni can soothe your soul and satisfy your hunger with her fresh dishes.
4. Evil Chef Mom- Evil Krysta’s household is actually full of joy, good food, and challenges of raising her 4 lucky kids.
5. Flanboyant Eats – Bren just make’s ya wanna cook, eat, live, love and dance latin style!
6. Holy Basil- Holy moly this Viet chickadee named Christine cooks up some tasty Viet and French inspired foods …in Michigan!
7. NikkoPolani - If you love good food, gardening and cats, this is the purrrrfect blog for you!
8. Viet World Kitchen - Andrea’s super informative site and cookbook can answer all your curiosities for anything and everything you need to know about Viet cuisine and culture. She’ll even teach you how to speak the food terms!
9. Wright Food - UK expat, Matt, makes bloody beautiful seafood dishes, using fresh, local and organic goodies.
10. You Say Tomahto, I Say Tomayto - A New Yorker now living and cooking in the UK, Pixie creates d-licious dishes and says tomato the same way that we do – TOMAYTO!!
More cocktails that you might enjoy: