We take full advantage of the earths bounty here in Southern California. With at least 11 months out of the year filled with sunshine, the diversity and availability of year round fresh fruits and vegetables are at our disposal. A weekly ritual is going to a our local farmers markets at the many locations available to us. If it’s within 1.5 hours drive, we’re there, hunting, smelling, touching, and tasting the day’s harvest and munching on all the locally produced goods.
The awareness of the local food movement has grown tremendously and been embraced by communities everywhere. Supporting local farmers by purchasing their fresh, seasonal, sustainable and locally farmed produce is a great start , which we’re sure, most of you reading here are already doing. Aside from your local farmers markets, farmers also reach out to their community through various other outlets such as CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture Programs), Farm stands, U-Pick Farms and/or Food Coop’s. When you’ve participated in one or all of these, know that you’ve helped not just farmers, but your community, the economy and the earth’s bounty as well.
Support Our Local Farmers:
Farmers Market Directory – Nationwide directory of farmers markets in your area
Eat Well Food Guide -Find wholesome, fresh and sustainable food in US & Canada.
- Local Harvest – CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture ) -Programs that allow communities to directly support their small, local farms by purchasing weekly or monthly deliveries of produce.
- Slow Food USA -Support good, clean and fair food food system.
- Sustainable Table – Get involved with the sustainable food movement.
- Pick Your Own – A great directory of your local farms where you can pick your own produce.
Today we’re celebrating our local markets with a video because we want to share with all of you some of our favorite and familiar farmers. This is our contribution to Jen’s second edition of her Fresh From The Farmers Market Blog Carnival, where bloggers submit recipes, stories and photographs from the market. At Modern Beet, Jen’s focus on eating seasonally, locally and thoughtfully are highlighted via her amazing dishes. She not only does wonders with a vegetable, but she’s equally fanatical about sourcing it and growing it. Her “amateur gardening ” skills have blossomed into a garden full of unique veggies that we have yet to discover. Not fair!
Todd & Diane’s Farmers Market Video
At this market, we found some interesting things such as red russian kale , some beautiful zucchini blossoms with baby zucchini’s still attached to the base and some new purple kohlrabi, an above ground bulb that has flavors of both radish and cabbage.
Zucchini Blossoms Stuffed with Pork or Potato
Stuffed zucchini blossoms are one of our favorites and when they’re available at the market, we go to town!! With some freshly ground pork in the fridge, we decided to stuff the blossoms with the pork, marinated Asian style. Along with some baby red potatoes, we made a vegetarian stuffing for the blossoms. They were both so tasty!
Crisp Kohlrabi Chips
Finding the purple kohlrabi was really exciting! Kohlrabi “cabbage turnip”, an above ground bulb that has flavors of both radish and cabbage, is commonly found in Asian cuisines, but this was the first time we saw a purple variety. So to not fuss with the bulb too much and to still keep to the kohlrabi’s color and flavor integrity , we made crispy kohlrabi chips , topped with a little soy and balsamic vinegar. Cooking them simply like this is a great side dish or even as a fun amuse bouche.
Crisp Kohlrabi Chips
Have you visited your local Farmers Market recently?
Share it with Jen’s Farmers Market Blog Carnival!
More appetizers that you might enjoy:
- Thomas Kellers Cornets
- Crispy, curry crusted tofu and basil fresh springrolls
- Salmon and sweet corn cakes
- Roasted klondike rose potatoes with herb goat cheese, thyme
- Vietnamese stuffed squid
- Asian nachos with pork and/or wonton chips/prawn crackers
- Parmesan poppy seed crackers
- Baked walla walla sweet onion dip
- Panko crusted shrimp lollipops
- Zucchini blossoms stuffed with pork
- Purple kohrabi chips
- Tofu frites, fries and mojo’s
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls – Pineapple and pork fresh springrolls
- Roasted nuts with parmesan, black pepper, sea salt
- Turkey and bacon fried springroll
- Vietnamese green mangoes and chili salt dip