*This giveaway has ended, thank you to all who have entered, it was vey very hard to choose. Rather than select only 2 people, we selected 8 and they have all been notified. Your comments below will be put on our waiting list for next events!
Trust us, we understand the frustrations that many of you experience when photographing food.
Being self taught photographers, we struggled with many technical and creative issues related to food photography, but we didn’t give up. The two of us worked together, pushed one another to remain motivated, focused, and excited about this amazing craft.
When we had technical questions about lenses, editing and workflow, the replies were often snobby, treating us like amateurs and second rate photographers. Instead of getting angry, we’d get even. Well we did get a bit angry. Frustrated. Irritated… And also very motivated. We spent endless hours learning, searching, practicing and perfecting our skills and craft together, buoyed by each other’s support, feedback and sharing.
We always swore we would never ever treat anyone in the same way that we were treated way back when we were first trying to become better photographers. Screw all of those old-school, peer down your nose at anyone asking a question, snobby farts. We were going to help any and everyone who honesty sought knowledge which we could help with.
After years of hard work, persistence, practice and two photography companies later (specializing in portraits, events & food), we feel that it’s our time to give back and help those who were in our position years ago. And we’d always treat them with respect and dignity that they deserve.
Please let us introduce our very first Food Photography Shoot-out: a free, informal and community event where everyone gets together to encourage and help one another build skills in food photography.
- no one should feel alone when you want to learn
- learning is always more fun as a group
- everyone has something to share and teach
What Happens at the Food Photography Shoot-Out?
- It’s kinda like an informal food photography workshop, but where everyone helps one another learn.
- We (Todd and Diane) will give a quick presentation about food photography basics.
- We’ll give a live demo on how we approach a food photograph from storyboarding, storytelling, vision, styling, technical exposure considerations, editing, workflow to final image.
- Everyone will talk about lenses, cameras, tripods, equipment. You name it, we’ll talk about it.
- We’ll all talk about the business of food photography.
- There will be lots of fun props to play and shoot with. Attendees will be photographing plenty of food.
- There will be a potluck. Yes, food.
- Attendees will have plenty of hands on shooting practice in our studio.
- Photo editing will be discussed.
- More food shooting will continue.
- Hopefully everyone in the group will step up to the plate and share what they know, give back.
- Todd and Diane will be there to answer any questions you’ve ever had about food photography.
What Happens after the Food Photography Shoot-Out? - that’s all up to the attendees, but hopefully…
- New friendships and bonding will be born.
- Knowledge will be passed, gained, and continually shared.
- Crotchety, greedy old-timer photographers will rot in… Sorry, we’ve really let go of this.
- Todd and Diane will have several cocktails after getting home at the end of a long day.
- Todd and Diane will sleep good knowing that a small handful of people will feel less frustrated about food photography.
Who gets to attend and when?
- We’ve selected a few individuals to attend the this first Food Photography Shoot-Out at our studio.
- We’ll be having more events in the future for larger groups. You’ll just have to be patient. Hopefully someone will provide and offer a larger venue for our future events for more attendees.
- The very first event will be held at our private studio in downtown Los Angeles. It’s a small space and we can only accomodate a small number of participants. And our studio has big windows with lots of natural light!
- Date is set for Wednesday (our day off!) February 9, 2011 from 11am-2pm, in downtown Los Angeles
We’ve already selected 12 local bloggers to join us on the Food Photography Shoot out. So we’re giving away 2 spaces to our blog readers!
How to participate in the Giveaway: (Please, Read Carefully)
- You must be a food blogger with an established, personal food blog for at least 9 months. Repeat: If you don’t have a food blog that’s at least 9 months old, you will not be considered.
- No brands, corporations, LLC’s, or companies are allowed to participate in the giveaway.
- Leave your comment below and tell us what have you struggled with in food photography or how this event will help you. Be short, be real and don’t leave your life story.
- Leave the link to your blog in the comment form, not in the actual comment! One link back to your blog is plenty.
- We’ll select 2 bloggers by the end of the giveaway on Sunday, January 30, 2011 at midnight, PST.
- Winner will be announced back on this post Monday January 31, 2001.
- Winners will be responsible for their own travel and accomodations.
-Todd and Diane
Note: this event is not sponsored in any way and is fully funded by us, in our studio.
come shoot-out with us in our studio!