- White on Rice Couple - http://whiteonricecouple.com -
Fried Springroll Cravings
Posted By Todd & Diane On December 30, 2007 @ 10:41 am In Food | 2 Comments
1. Par-fry bacon till just slightly crisp, but still soft. Remove bacon from oil and chop bacon.
2. Rehydrate glass noodles and/or black fungus mushrooms in hot water, drain. Chop these, as well as green onions, cilantro and cabbage.
3. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl . Using your hands, dive into the bowl and mix everything together well. Mush it all between your fingers to ensure that all chopped ingredients are blended well.
4. If using rice paper wrappers, dip rice sheets in warm water for a few seconds. Place rice sheet on your work surface (cutting board or plate). Let rice sheet soften and become gelatinous for about 1 minute. Start on the wrapper edge closest to you, place about one full tablespoon of filling on edge of wrapper. Slowly roll and shape filling to a tubular shape. Roll about the first 1/3 of wrapper, then fold in both sides and continue the roll until it is completely finished.
-For flour based/pastry springroll wrappers, follow wrapping nstructions as above. But use a bit of egg white to help seal all the edges and seams of the springroll wrappers. These type of wrappers do not need to be dipped in water. Use them straight from the package.
(above) rolls made with rice paper
(above) rolls made with springroll/eggroll pastry wrappers
5. In frying pan or deep fryer, place about 1 inch of vegetable oil. Let oil heat up slowly on medium heat. Gently place rolls in hot oil and fry on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve warm with fish dipping sauce, fresh lettuce, slices of cucumber and mint, basil or what ever herbs are available.
Makes about 25 rolls, but depending on how big your rolls are and how much filling you use, the recipe may only make about about 12-15 rolls.
Article printed from White on Rice Couple: http://whiteonricecouple.com
URL to article: http://whiteonricecouple.com/food/fried-springroll-turkey-bacon-spring-rolls/